Fire evacuation

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

nicko
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 15 21:32

Fire evacuation

Hi there what type of fire evacuation plan do you all have .on our classroom check list it says fire evacuation plan legal and primary and secondary escape routes what does this mean .do we have to display two routes in case of a fire but what's the legal bit what do others have thanks nick

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 10:16

Re: Fire evacuation

I have a plan in each room showing the primary route. You could also put a master plan in you risk assessment showing some alternatives. They love all that, unless the fire risk assessment is large enough to be a fire hazard in itself you missed something out! [Confused.png]
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

scrubadub
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 18 17:05

We have a blue print of the school with the primary route in blue and a secondary route (in case first route is blocked) in red. When doing fire drill the HT will on occasion lock a door on the blue route meaning they need to use the red route.

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 29 10:55

We are the same... A plan in every classroom, office etc and at the end of each coridoor we have a plan showing the primary and secondary exits.
seanallen wrote:
Mon, Jth Mar 2019, 10:16am
I have a plan in each room showing the primary route. You could also put a master plan in you risk assessment showing some alternatives. They love all that, unless the fire risk assessment is large enough to be a fire hazard in itself you missed something out! [Confused.png]
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://tinyurl.com/swsmith

Viking72
Forum Member
Forum Member
Mar 2019 29 20:53

Have never bothered with that. We have a notice on the wall with what to do in the event of an alarm activation. IE where the muster point is but with 250 individual rooms I would be doing it all year. We have a good fire risk assessment and a good induction process where teachers are shown the ideal way out of a building but that's it.

My view, people are going to find their way out. I have signs pointing to every exit. There only one person who would look at the pretty drawings you have on the wall and that is you.