Delivery for contractors. (Rant)

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

jcc90
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 10:05

Delivery for contractors. (Rant)

So this morning had a delivery of a 6 metre fire shutter, when the bloke turned up he was in a flat bed truck with no hiab or lifting equipment.
I asked him how are you going to get it off then

he said 'WE have to handball it',

I said sorry but i can not do that I have a Bad back and it will take more than two people to move it.

So cut a long story short he rang me yesterday and after our convo told his manager that there was only me on site and that it can not be delivered. He got told to bring it anyway, I rang the company who are installing it and they said well what do you want me to do you knew it was being delivered, to which I replied I said i was on site not expecting to take your delivery off for you.

He got really shirty with me and tried to blame me that it couldn't be accepted. Was not happy [Angry.png] [Angry.png]

Am i in the wrong here for not hand balling it off?

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 10:28

Re: Delivery for contractors. (Rant)

I would expect the firm responsible for the installation to have been on site to receive the delivery.

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 10:34

This has happened numerous times here materials delivered prior to contractors being on site, sometime days in advance.

I would say if you are not able to assist because of your back problem then that is a legitimate reason for not assisting.
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 12 12:29

I agree, either the contractor should attend site or have the items delivered to the contractors address and the contractor bring everything in on the day they intend to start work. Not your problem m8.

The hardest thing I found was when having work done that required scaffolding, was getting the scaffold firm to take it down after the work. Many scaffold firms use you as a storage place for their scaffolding until they need it next. Kids love to climb scaffolding given the chance and I insisted it was taken down and away by the end of Friday, but did it ever happen? Nah
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Apr 2019 12 13:02

In a past life I was a delivery driver, stuff wasn’t considered delivered until it was off the wagon and on the ground.

We have a similar address to another local school.
A driver had off loaded about 20 47kg LPG cylinders. Sorry bud, wrong school and nope I’m not helping you reload your vehicle.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)
Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 13:53

Been there done that, helped out as much as I could with anyone, but as from 1 year ago, I don't lift a finger unless I am paid and its in my j.d, shame to be like that, but the fun has gone out of the job. so good luck to my academy colleagues, especially the h.t and b.m let them get their fingers out and help, luckily no one gets in during half terms as the security gate are closed, unless I know who and when they are coming, as said would help anyone in days gone by. [Neutral.png]

jcc90
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 14:23

I would of given a hand but the fact it was a 3 man job and there was 2 of us and the fact that the fitters company didn't care i told the driver to send it back and arrange with them for it to be delivered a day they are in.

As schoolkeeper said the job has got a lot worse they want us to do everything for nothing and we never get the appreciation we deserve.

jholden
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 14:57

Another point is if you unload any materials for an external contract job, and they get damaged, it will very quickly become your problem and cause extra costings to the school! If the contractors themselves damage it during unloading, it's their problem and they will have to source and pay for any replacements.
“The only thing I know is that I know nothing”

Stiggy
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 14:59

You were right not to help, what if you had been injured by helping? You would not have been able to make any sort of claim as it's not part of your job.

Hedgehog
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 12 18:06

As Jay says offloading the delivery is the responsibility of the delivery company. Once on your premises then it is up to you or your contractors to sort it out.

The same issue can occur if you ask a delivery driver to help you take something into the building and upstairs for example. Unless previously agreed they are under no obligation to help you and likewise you are under no obligation to offload the delivery vehicle.