Kids getting into grounds

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

fruitbat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 13 19:12

Kids getting into grounds

Hi All
As above got this problem of kids (15-30 of them ages 10-15) getting into school grounds in evenings and weekends, last weekend it took 40 min to clear place up on Monday , broken glass in paved areas, chewing gum and chocolate raisins usual cigarette butts etc..in a brand new play area that has artificial grass and climbing frame. They turned up when I was there and been to speak with them and to be fair they moved on without to much hassle but just turned back up when we are gone. Can only seeing issues getting worse, head and business manager have spoken to local cops, but no interest from them.
Just read that anti climb paint not that effective, just started putting this on this week as thought it would work, I suggested razor wire but it didn't go down to well [Big grin.png].
So what I'm asking any suggestions?
Also on another note if you are in place on your own (during holidays as can see this is going to occur) would you go and ask them to leave, or just go balls to it and leave them there, especially if police are not interested. Asking as this is my first real time with summer holidays coming up.
Appreciate any advice as fairly new to this caretaking ( bizarrely I worked in a prison before doing this teaching, and it was far less hassle dealing with knobs)

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 13 20:13

Re: Kids getting into grounds

When you call the law, make it clear that in your view there is a high probability of criminal damage being committed. Otherwise the OB tend not to be interested. I would also suggest that you involve the Police Schools Liaison Officer. Tell him or her about the recurring issues. Also get the HT on side as the police tend to take more notice of the. Not much, but a bit.

jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Apr 2019 13 22:07

Trespass on school ground is a criminal offence, and not civil as normally the case.
Kids ask me if I’d chase them if they come on to my site. Nope, I wouldn’t.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)
Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.

greenjack
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 14 14:20

We have had similar issues in the past. In my case they were accessing the roof via a chain link fence and lightning conductor. I liberally applied a few tubes of gutter sealant wherever they might put their hands and at the same time I put up warning signs to cover the school from possible litigation. Worked! Only viable where the access point is small and not likely to be touched on a daily basis though.

twiglets
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 15 07:48

If you don't have them, suggest CCTV to those in charge. Even in the short term, make up some signs and put them near the entry points- they may then stay away if they believe there are cameras. Dummy cameras if they still insist to come in. The cameras/signs/dummy cameras are purely deterrents which will mean they will be wary of what they do.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 15 15:24

When i first started at the school prior to retirement we had a problem in an area with a undercover lean too, always a mess and unmentionable items left in this year 1 soft play area. Spoke to the local PCSO who said he does ask them to leave if he sees them but was unaware it is a criminal offence and not a civil one to be on school property without lawful reason.

So the action i took was to place and audibly portable battery operated alarm behind some wire in front of the schools kitchen window that over looks this area and which basically is there to stop flies getting in, i could turn it on at night and turn it off when i arrived in the morning.

The area was far from local housing so no one got disturbed when it did activate, the alarm was very noisy and did hurt your ears and there was no way they could get at it where it was positioned, it appears to have done the trick as we never had a problem there again and a few years later it was altered to a fully covered area as a library.

So if you can get yourself this type of protection you may deter them. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

browncoat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 12:35

We had kids getting on to the sports hall roof & running around the grounds, phoned 101 & had a very heated discussion as she was adamant trespass was civil on school grounds, not the first time I've had to explain this to a copper.

chimmy1974
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 12:46

Hi
We have this issue on a regular basis. Kids come onto school grounds attempt doors, use the 3G pitch and generally destroy stuff/smash windows. Our local PSCO's are really good and do follow up on calls. The advice I was given by the police is to continually report any issues as it will all be noted, but until they see it as a persistant problem nothing will be done. If you dont report every time they see each issue as isolated and will ignore it!

We recently had some youths taken to court for trespassing on educational premisies so not a civil issue.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 13:05

When phoning the police say you are reporting trespassers under section 547 of the education act as it is a criminal offence to be on or in school property without lawful excuse. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 13:06

I have got to say, the Suffolk constabulary attend most calls, but not in any hurry, but one night a member of the public reported something was wrong? = Lights on and the school alarms were sounding! I also was phoned by the police to stay in-doors (residential) until they arrived? well within 5 minutes their were 2 x dog units and 3 P.Cs on site, I informed them that the intruder alarm was not sounding? and as for the lights on, it was pitch black inside the school? They did how-ever have a good look around, but found nothing and left after 30 minutes, I later had a report that the member of the public had a problem with our external lights = light invasion into her property!! So I would recommend that if you are having problems get a member of the public to dial 999! good luck [Neutral.png]