VW ID. hatch: Order books open on 8th May 2019

Chat about cars, bikes and transport in general. Get advice about servicing, MOT's etc...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 14 05:50

VW ID. hatch: Order books open on 8th May 2019

I just read that the new VW ID all electric hatchback with a range of up to 342 miles is due in 6-8 months time. Folk can put a deposit down for one from 8th May 2019 on the VW website. The new car will come in various shapes including a campervan style.

Talk has it that this new ID could do to the Golf what the Golf did to the Beetle.

It will certainly give Hyundai, Nissan and Tesla a run for their money who already produce all electric cars.

I've read that VW have invested an additional 10 billion in this fully carbon neutral, all electric car to combat their tarnished reputation over the emissions scandal.

Prices are not confirmed yet, but are expected to start from £28,000 for the smaller battery car with the largest battery version (342 mile range) having 3 trim levels. So basically under cutting and out ranging Tesla for the price.

However, unlike current electric cars which have a 6 month (Nissan), 1 year (Hyundai) and 3 year? (Tesla) lead in time, the VW ID will have immediate availability according to the attached video.

Give it a few years and you'll not be able to buy a new petrol or diesel car. Most manufacturers have plans towards making all electric cars. As a new owner of electric myself, I can't get over how much cheaper it is to drive an electric car. With no additional tax on fuel (apart from VAT), zero road fund licence, government grants to buy and charge electric and low annual servicing costs, my pocket has never felt so good. And oh boy can they shift! (I drive around in eco mode all the time as standard mode is just scary). [Big grin.png]

Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Keyolder
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Apr 2019 14 08:47

Re: VW ID. hatch: Order books open on 8th May 2019

Looks good, if they can keep the price down plus production and delivery times up I'm sure they will sell [Like.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Keyolder
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Apr 2019 14 10:19

thecaretaker wrote:
Sun, 14th Apr 2019, 5:50am
I can't get over how much cheaper it is to drive an electric car. With no additional tax on fuel (apart from VAT), zero road fund licence, government grants to buy and charge electric and low annual servicing costs, my pocket has never felt so good. And oh boy can they shift! (I drive around in eco mode all the time as standard mode is just scary). [Big grin.png]
Shhhh CT don't tell everyone, when people ask me about electric cars I just say they are rubbish, too expensive (true) too slow (false) and have no range (although never been a problem for me).

The thought behind the above is, I charge my car mostly for free when shopping, if everyone buys an EV all the free charge points will be occupied so no more free travel for me…
[Scared.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 14 13:34

Keyolder wrote:
Sun, 14th Apr 2019, 10:19am

Shhhh CT don't tell everyone, when people ask me about electric cars I just say they are rubbish, too expensive (true) too slow (false) and have no range (although never been a problem for me).

The thought behind the above is, I charge my car mostly for free when shopping, if everyone buys an EV all the free charge points will be occupied so no more free travel for me…
[Scared.png]
That's a good point. There is a free rapid charger on the seafront close to me, if I used that at night to charge up, my annual cost of running my car would be £124 for a full service.

Na, you are right keyolder. EV's are rubbish.

• They are too difficult to drive negotiating all those gears
    • They drink engine oil like there's no tomorrow
    • The clutch plates wear out in no time
    • You can cause irreparable damage by putting the wrong type of electricity in them
    • e-pedal makes the brake pads wear out prematurely
    • You can't find a retailer that sells an exhaust system for them anywhere
    • You can't go out in the rain with it - In fact it is dangerous if you did
    • You can't jump start it without damage to the doner cars battery
    • Even buying 50 equivalent cheapo Duracell batteries on ebay every 12 months costs an arm and a leg
    • The car doesn't have a heater so you are often cold or you will freeze to death in the winter
    • You'll spend your life looking at the battery charge level and wondering if you'll ever make it home
    • They are complex. If the car ever goes wrong, you'll not find any trained mechanic who understands how to fix it

Will that help Keyolder?
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Keyolder
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Apr 2019 14 14:12

thecaretaker wrote:
Sun, 14th Apr 2019, 1:34pm
Na, you are right keyolder. EV's are rubbish.

• They are too difficult to drive negotiating all those gears
    • They drink engine oil like there's no tomorrow
    • The clutch plates wear out in no time
    • You can cause irreparable damage by putting the wrong type of electricity in them
    • e-pedal makes the brake pads wear out prematurely
    • You can't find a retailer that sells an exhaust system for them anywhere
    • You can't go out in the rain with it - In fact it is dangerous if you did
    • You can't jump start it without damage to the doner cars battery
    • Even buying 50 equivalent cheapo Duracell batteries on ebay every 12 months costs an arm and a leg
    • The car doesn't have a heater so you are often cold or you will freeze to death in the winter
    • You'll spend your life looking at the battery charge level and wondering if you'll ever make it home
    • They are complex. If the car ever goes wrong, you'll not find any trained mechanic who understands how to fix it

Will that help @Keyolder?
Yes that sounds about right [Big grin.png]

EBJ
Site Manager
Site Manager
Apr 2019 15 15:41

Every now and again VW come up with a car to save the company and this may be it, last time it was the Golf GTI a nippy looking black job with the distinctive red stripe and red GTI badge. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nigel
Caretaker
Caretaker
Apr 2019 16 09:45

Some Days even the baboon misses the branch