Internet Speed Test

Get all the latest website & forum news...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 02:37

Internet Speed Test

I've added a tool that will let you test your Internet Speed. It tests your download & upload speed.

When the test is complete, you can see the results like this:

Annotation 2019-04-15 022915.png

Ready for a test? CLICK HERE There are no ads or personal data collected.

You'll find the link under the Fun Stuff section. [Like.png]

Feel free to share your results in this post. Take a screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 08:36

Re: Internet Speed Test

Currently I'm with TalkTalk faster fibre, so a max of 36Mb. I'll test again in May once Vodafone's BB service is active so as to compare the two.

tt-test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 12:16

Dragonrider wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 8:36am
Currently I'm with TalkTalk faster fibre, so a max of 36Mb. I'll test again in May once Vodafone's BB service is active so as to compare the two.

tt-test.jpg
I just took a look at Vodaphone broadband. They say they offer a home phone line with no line rental. That's amazing, but I don't know how they can do it at those prices. They do 2 packages, both offering the same 'No line rental' at £23 pm for 35mbps (new customers) or £28 for 63mbps. And those prices are including VAT. That's got to be the cheapest deal I've ever seen. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband

Only negative is it looks like you have to buy/use their 'el cheapo' £11.99 router. Maybe you can find a way to configure your own.

Duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 15 12:34

Virgin do the same you have to use there router but the way round it is to put the router into modem mode then piggyback your router to it. that is what i have done attached a netgear r8000 gaming router its boosted the wifi signal to the tv in the living room from 35meg dl speed to 185 meg dl speed.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 13:45

Duncan wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 12:34pm
Virgin do the same you have to use there router but the way round it is to put the router into modem mode then piggyback your router to it. that is what i have done attached a netgear r8000 gaming router its boosted the wifi signal to the tv in the living room from 35meg dl speed to 185 meg dl speed.
I have a Netgear R8000 connected to the original BT Openreach Huawei VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem. I also have a Nighthawk X4S Tri-Band Range Extender for use in the kitchen extension (Mrs CT kept complaining that she couldn't print to the printer which is in the kitchen. In the end, after weeks of trying to get to the bottom of it, it turned out to be a problem with her, not the wifi). With the extender, that gives me 2 x 2.4GHz (Up to 600 Mbps) wireless networks and 3 x 5GHz (Up to 1300 Mbps) usually 878 Mbps on the extender. It makes the transfer of large files like 4K movies to the Satellite box hard drive super quick. I've given up caring about the neighbours. The R8000 is the best I've ever used. [Loud.png]

Duncan
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 15 14:14

thecaretaker wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 1:45pm
Duncan wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 12:34pm
I have a Netgear R8000 connected to the original BT Openreach Huawei VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem. I also have a Nighthawk X4S Tri-Band Range Extender for use in the kitchen extension (Mrs CT kept complaining that she couldn't print to the printer which is in the kitchen. In the end, after weeks of trying to get to the bottom of it, it turned out to be a problem with her, not the wifi). With the extender, that gives me 2 x 2.4GHz (Up to 600 Mbps) wireless networks and 3 x 5GHz (Up to 1300 Mbps) usually 878 Mbps on the extender. It makes the transfer of large files like 4K movies to the Satellite box hard drive super quick. I've given up caring about the neighbours. The R8000 is the best I've ever used. [Loud.png]
Yes Its an excellent router ive attached an external ssd drive to the usb port of the r8000 so movies and files can stream throughout the house. [Big grin.png]

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 15 15:05

Not sure what all that means CT but do have a new router or modem or what ever you call it from TalTalk and it appears to be faster than my old one. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 16:22

thecaretaker wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 12:16pm
Dragonrider wrote:
Mon, Jth Apr 2019, 8:36am

tt-test.jpg
I just took a look at Vodaphone broadband. They say they offer a home phone line with no line rental. That's amazing, but I don't know how they can do it at those prices. They do 2 packages, both offering the same 'No line rental' at £23 pm for 35mbps (new customers) or £28 for 63mbps. And those prices are including VAT. That's got to be the cheapest deal I've ever seen. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband

Only negative is it looks like you have to buy/use their 'el cheapo' £11.99 router. Maybe you can find a way to configure your own.
Yes, but if you buy through one of the comparative sites (eg: Moneysupermarket, uSwitch or Moneysavingexpert) the monthly price drops to £21 a month for 35Mbps fibre and this includes line rental, but no free calls. But as I get 150 minutes, unlimited texts and 500Mb data on my (new) idmobile sim deal for just £3.99 a month, the only time I use my home phone is to dial 0800 numbers which are free anyway.

As for the router, I'll let you know as I have a number stuffed in cupboards from customers that have asked me to set up their new routers and dispose of their old ones. I've even got an old, and I mean old, Talk Talk router which I have set as a repeater in the conservatory to extend the coverage to the back of the house. As I say, I'll ley you know when the new Vodafone one turns up at the end of the month.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.