Emergency Lighting Test

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Andrew
Caretaker
Caretaker
Apr 2019 15 19:50

Emergency Lighting Test

Had our contractors in today to do the EM testing and they only did a 1 Hours test. I asked why they wern't doing the usual 3 hours and was told that they only do 1 hour as to do 3 hours the regs now say a building has to be unused for 24 hours afterwards as it's a complete discharge and they need to be fully charged up before it's opened again. Is this correct or are they pulling a fast one which I think they are?
Valar Morghulis

EBJ
Site Manager
Site Manager
Apr 2019 15 19:59

Re: Emergency Lighting Test

Not sure on that one Andrew but it does make sense in some ways as if the building is occupied and the power goes off while they are doing a 3 hour test the EM lighting may not work so big evacuation problem, just my bold but i am sure some one will know as i am retired out of the noble profession now. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Nigel
Caretaker
Caretaker
Apr 2019 16 09:38

I flash test mine every month, fire alarm company do 1 hour test at 6 months and 3 hour yearly, I was told 3 hour test (doesn`t take that long to get out of a building!)precisely because the building could be re-occupied and there needs to be enough charge in the lights to allow this?
Yes see what they mean, if they are flattened you can`t open the building until they are charged again, BUT although ours are checked in half terms there could still be people about so am I supposed to lock down the school!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch

Adoniss
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker
Apr 2019 16 09:44

Nigel wrote:
Tue, 16th Apr 2019, 9:38am
I flash test mine every month, fire alarm company do 1 hour test at 6 months and 3 hour yearly, I was told 3 hour test (doesn`t take that long to get out of a building!)precisely because the building could be re-occupied and there needs to be enough charge in the lights to allow this?
Yes see what they mean, if they are flattened you can`t open the building until they are charged again, BUT although ours are checked in half terms there could still be people about so am I supposed to lock down the school!
make sure they come in the morning and then you will have to finish early

gadget300
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Apr 2019 16 11:28

Hi

The 3 hour test is actually a misguided approach, what should happen is called a full duration discharge. It’s just that the majority of luminaires have a 3 hour rated battery so this is the norm. You can buy 1 hour rated batteries albeit they are less common, but then your annual test only needs to be an hour. However your fire risk assessment should guide this.

Regardless of type you still need to regularly do in house “flick test”.

With regards the problem you are mentioning, yes technically if the batteries are fully discharged then you have no capacity for emergency lighting until the batteries are recharged and therefore you are open to problems if the premises are occupied. However as most school would probably would do this in the summer or that 2 week December break! When no-one is in, this would then not cause any issues.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!