Notre-Dame Fire

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with our members...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Apr 2019 15 22:41

Notre-Dame Fire

What a shock to hear that the Cathedral of Notre-Dame has been virtually burnt to the ground. This must be a massive shock for the residents of Paris and also to people throughout the world. 850 years of history... Surely, it could never be rebuilt. Very sad. I hope nobody has been hurt.

Timeline of construction

1160 Maurice de Sully (named Bishop of Paris) orders the original cathedral demolished.
1163 Cornerstone laid for Notre-Dame de Paris; construction begins.
1182 Apse and choir completed.
1196 Bishop Maurice de Sully dies.
c.1200 Work begins on western facade.
1208 Bishop Eudes de Sully dies. Nave vaults nearing completion.
1225 Western facade completed.
1250 Western towers and north rose window completed.
c.1245–1260s Transepts remodelled in the rayonnant style by Jean de Chelles then Pierre de Montreuil.
14th century New flying buttresses added to apse and choir.

They will not be able to rebuild all that in a long long time, if they even could.

• The bells of Notre-Dame sounded to mark the end of the war.
    • English kids were bought up with the story of Quasimodo, the hunchback of Notre-Dame and his love for Esmeralda.

All gone!
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 00:43

Re: Notre-Dame Fire

Reminded of the York Minster fire. Hope the building, iconic as it is, will be rebuilt.

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 07:56

You would have thought in this modern techno age there would have been some fire early warning systems or sprinklers in place to catch it early?

Iconic building though, heard on the news this morning they will rebuild.
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

welshhunk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 08:12

My prayers are with the firefighter who was injured. Hope he/she makes a full recovery.
wake me up before you gogo.

UnderPaid
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 08:28

They are not sure who or what started it, but they have a hunch....
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 09:33

According to the BBC news site, the Paris Prosecutor`s Office is saying that it could be linked with extensive renovation work being done on the building. Could be that somebody`s Hot Work Permit was not properly scrutinised.

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 09:54

The ITN site is now saying that arson, including possible terrorist action has been ruled out.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 10:25

Such a shame as i have had the privilege of visiting here and it was a magnificent building inside. [Disappointment.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 12:20

I had a serious attack of vertigo in the bell tower many years ago.

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
Apr 2019 16 18:21

It's awful, a building that is nostalgic, not just for those in France, but around the world too. Kyle has had a number of boarders come and see him today and asked if they can donate their pocket money to the restoration. It brings a tear to my eye that the kids feel that strongly that they want to help. Meanwhile, Kyle and I have made donations and we are seeing which other staff are going to donate.

It feels that our school has been affected by the devastation and we can do much more than pray for the people of Paris. So far, we have raised just over £130 pounds. It could take years to rebuild, but at least when our school kids are all grown up, they can say to their kids that they helped to help the rebuild by giving their pocket money to help with the restoration.

We still got to work out where to send the money, but at least our school has opened it's heart to such a tragedy.
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://tinyurl.com/swsmith