🏫 School Falling Apart

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 09:12

🏫 School Falling Apart

Is your school falling apart if so the government have promised 1 billion pounds to help repair them, but that is not going to go far as it is to little to late, it is estimated schools need a minimum of 7.5 million just to get on top of it according to the news on breakfast time.

I know my old school has just had approval to go ahead with a brand new two storey build which will include a new main hall, classrooms, an IT suite, meeting rooms and so on and they are having the old part of the school refurbished to bring it up to date.

You read of schools having to close class rooms as they are unsafe and unfit to use and HT's carrying out D.I.Y. just to keep on top of the decaying problem they have, how does your school fair in the repair stakes do you get it done or is it left to continue to be a major repair problem and how could this government hand out help your school.

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right

Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 10:15

Re: 🏫 School Falling Apart

I feel school maintenance is a bit like a treadmill where you are constantly on the go to keep it up to standard as things degrade, but lately it feels like the treadmill is running faster and faster and it is becoming much more of a struggle to stay level. My HT is well aware of the state of much of the building but the money I am given for repairs is little more than a sticking plaster in the grand scheme of things and we could do with a big cash injection to keep the school fit for purpose. There is not even enough money for cleaners so I am constantly short and having to spend most of my time with that so fall ever further behind with the maintenance. Almost every item now I get asked to obtain a ridiculous number of alternative quotes which as far as I can tell is little more than a delaying tactic.

One of the education secretaries in the past decade or so (I can't remember which one) came up with some fake promise when they started that every school would get a one-off £100k towards maintenance which would have been a massive help for a lot of places, I suspect there are many schools like mine where if there is a minor issue such as a tiny roof leak the SLT don't want to find the money for it when it could be fixed for a couple of hundred pounds and so the can ends up being repeatedly kicked down the road until the problem (and the bill) have hugely escalated. If the government did fork out some money it could also be seen as an investment as there must be a lot of struggling firms that could be saved if schools are able to afford to hire them instead of letting them fold and then paying out unemployment benefits etc.

Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 10:26

Most of the repairs I do without too much bother.

However we have a very large (half the school) section of roof that is absolutely past its best (felt) and we have a CIF bid in at the moment that has been delayed because of Covid 19. Every time it rains I'm out with the buckets and then when its dry up on the roof with felt repair compound to patch it up yet again. Because of the roof the internal suspended ceiling tiles are very old and badly stained but there is no point in replacing them until the roof is fixed.
The other half of the roof has been assessed and although it is not leaking yet it is showing signs of age and will need to be replaced.

The heating systems and hot water systems gives endless problems and to make things worse we have two sets of boilers (and control systems) and two hot water systems together with the associated oil storage tanks. The school used to be two buildings and has since been expanded and joined together.

It would make sense to have just one boiler room with central hot water and heating with a more up to date control system installed but that would mean some internal re piping and zoning being done as well. this will form the basis of our next CIF bid once the roof is fixed.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 11:24

We're doing okay. We have badged the county for years regarding roof and windows, roof has been repaired, gutters in progress and 95% likely all new windows in the summer. We are fortunate the building is 26 years old, and general updates are ongoing. We have replaced all vinyl and carpets, new washrooms, new boilers etc over the last few years- we are probably luckier than most.

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 12:04

We rely purely on the fees from parents and because of COVID we have had to put the brakes on spending this year incase we get a drop in fees.
Just prioritising which jobs are urgent and which can be delayed another 12-24 months.

londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 13:23

New Windows we should be so lucky, My School is 140 years old and still has the original windows in them, over the years they've have been painted and repaired, its so cold in the winter but we really need double glazing.

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 13:49

it seems that different counties have money, others have none. The government came around, well a surveyor, to put together a snap shot of building condition. It was probably after this that they have calculated out what needs doing per county and will put the monies in for the next couple of years- makes them look good!! Average time for replacing windows and roofs is 25 years- difficult if it is a listed building. We are also fortunate to not have any know asbestos- so future works will be much simpler- I know of local schools that still are riddled with it- okay until they need to do any structural works within the buildings. I think i helped that in the winter we had county in and the children and teachers were sitting in coats, and in the summer the heat was unbearable as we couldn't open many windows due to corrosion on the aluminium frames.

jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 14:21

londonlad1939 wrote:
Mon, 29th Jun 2020, 1:23pm
New Windows we should be so lucky, My School is 140 years old and still has the original windows in them, over the years they've have been painted and repaired, its so cold in the winter but we really need double glazing.
Try 291 years! That's how old the windows are on part of the main frontage of our school, being Grade 2 listed we are also limited with what can be done with them!

londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 15:01

jholden wrote:
Mon, 29th Jun 2020, 2:21pm
Try 291 years! That's how old the windows are on part of the main frontage of our school, being Grade 2 listed we are also limited with what can be done with them!
Wow 291 Year's, I love History so there must be a lot of character at that school and plenty of secret rooms and corridors I bet, id love to see it.

MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 29 15:06

jholden wrote:
Mon, 29th Jun 2020, 2:21pm

You should be able to get secondary glazing put in if it is grade 2 with no changes made structurally this should be fine. They just srew or bolt it to the inner face of the wall or the internal hole about an inch or 2 from the existing windows.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-

jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 08:52

MWCracker wrote:
Mon, 29th Jun 2020, 3:06pm
You should be able to get secondary glazing put in if it is grade 2 with no changes made structurally this should be fine. They just srew or bolt it to the inner face of the wall or the internal hole about an inch or 2 from the existing windows.
We are about to put in planning permission for a whole new block at the front of the school. Part of the work involved will include a complete internal refurbishment of the aforementioned 1729 block, which includes making the windows more efficient whilst still keeping within English Heritage rules.