🏖️ Holiday entitlement taken for Covid-19

Chat about Unions, Contracts, Terms and Conditions, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 08:35

🏖️ Holiday entitlement taken for Covid-19

Staff at our school were put on a rota over the Covid-19 pandemic working on site three days a week and working from home the rest of the time. Just recently as we are now in a better place I along with the other support staff requested confirmation on remaining holiday entitlement that we were unable to take from last year. We have been told that the head decided as we were only in days a week she could take our remaining holiday and not carry it forward. Staff are not happy and feel they have been cheated as when not on site were still working full time from home. Opinions?

Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 09:46

Re: 🏖️ Holiday entitlement taken for Covid-19

Sounds completely unreasonable to me if you and the other support staff worked those days from home in good faith. I bet the teachers haven't been told they have to come in during the school holidays to make up for days they worked from home. I wouldn't normally advocate this, but if they don't back down then maybe people should start having a few sick days, stress from not having leave for a long period.

NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 09:54

From ACAS:

Requiring staff to take or cancel holiday

Employers have the right to tell employees and workers when to take holiday.

They cannot do this, however, for any employees or workers who are:
  • on sick leave
  • shielding because of coronavirus
  • on family leave, for example maternity leave
If an employer needs to tell staff when to take holiday

An employer could, for example, shut for a week and tell everyone to use their holiday entitlement.
If the employer decides to do this, they must tell staff at least twice as many days before as the amount of days they need people to take.
For example, if they want to close for 5 days, they should tell everyone at least 10 days before.

If your headteacher does not back down, it's time for you and your colleagues to involve your unions!

Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 09:54

Pretty sure they have to have spoken to you about this and have your agreement BEFORE the period of time off.

if you have a union, now is the time to get some money back from your subs..

do not accept this and put in writing that you do not accept this.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-

jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 09:58

I would take this up with your Governors, and/or LEA & Union. If you were officially working from home when not on site then there is no way you should have any annual leave taken away.

steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 10:34

I think if it is holiday not taken from a previous year, you have to have it agreed in writing before carrying it forward, so technically they may be able to take leave from last year away. Not saying that is right, and certainly isn't what has happened here, but from a contractual perspective I think you are in a weaker position if the issue spans your 2 leave years.

Might be worth an email explaining how much you have been doing, both in school and at home, and how this decision is affecting the moral of staff. If they still wont move on the issue, then flexibility has to go both ways, if they aren't being flexible on this, then there is less incentive for you to be flexible with all the other requests that are received that are above and beyond.

Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 10:56

greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 12:47

What's that you say? Got a temperature! So have the rest of your team? Stay away immediately as per gov guidelines

Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 01 08:39

Thanks all, I have a meeting about this today so your advice will help greatly.

londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 01 09:27

I get 26 days a year Holiday which gets renewed from April to April, I work at a LA Primary school, my school did not open at all during the lockdown and I was sent home by my BM, I said to them I am more than willing to come in, no no this is serious we are on lockdown the school is closed, I started back working about a month ago and last week get an email saying we are going to take some of your holiday away this year so you can catch up on premises work and we think this is more that reasonable because you were at home for 3 months on full pay and was not called upon at all. -Shock.png-