🖌️ Painting concrete stairs

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Richard1971
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 14:01

🖌️ Painting concrete stairs

Hello everyone

my headmistress has asked me to try and brighten up some cast concrete stairs. not the tops as they are covered in safety flooring just the underneath bits that are showing. the school is very bland and boring and a lot of the kids ask to have it in better colours
ive agreed in principle but im not too sure how to do it and i dont want to create a huge amount of work for myself

my plan was to mix small amounts of smooth masonary paint with either acrylic or poster paint in various colours for each step

has anyone else done something like this

cheers in advance

Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 14:36

Re: 🖌️ Painting concrete stairs

Depends on your budget

We used vinyl coloured backgrounds on ours

ETyL0MYWoAApfe7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.----------------------------------------
You reap what you sow!

Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 14:51

If you mean the face of the steps not the tread I did ours with ordinary eggshell magnolia and a strip around the edges blended into the wall, they will eventually get black marks on them but aren`t too difficult to paint again once they are done.
When you walk past the stairs you mainly see the painted face and it looks a lot better.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch

scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 16:10

not tried adding poster paint to missionary paint, but can't see why it wouldn't work. I liked the idea of the vinyl steps. We have a local sign writer who donates of cuts of vinyl to the school, some quite big pieces. Might be worth seeing if you have one local who is willing to give you off cuts.

Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 30 17:59

scrubadub wrote:
Tue, 30th Jun 2020, 4:10pm
not tried adding poster paint to missionary paint, but can't see why it wouldn't work. I liked the idea of the vinyl steps. We have a local sign writer who donates of cuts of vinyl to the school, some quite big pieces. Might be worth seeing if you have one local who is willing to give you off cuts.

Missionary paint... do you have to be lying down to paint with that?? -Big grin.png-

To the OP, Use masonry paint and yes you can add small amounts of acrylic paint to colour it..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-

Richard1971
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 01 08:45

Thanks guys I'm going to do some testers next week I'll post them up on here