Well, I've ditched ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Use this forum to discuss about Science, Space exploration, Computers, New gadgets...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2021 19 12:50

Well, I've ditched ESET NOD32 Antivirus

As some of you know, I've been a long term advocate of NOD32 antivirus. But now I am retired and I don't really do anything with my PC that puts me at risk, I've uninstalled NOD32 and gone with the free built in Windows Defender. I can't really warrant the £50 (after loyalty discount) for 3 more years of protection.

The built in Windows 10 AV isn't as fast as NOD32 and doubt that it offers the same quality of protection, but hay, it's free.

The rest of my family use the built in security and haven't had any issues.

Uninstalling NOD32 gained me almost 1GB extra disk space which surprised me. Full backup size now 17,530,944kb was 18,508,176kb

Screenshot 2021-04-19 124947.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 19 13:18

Re: Well, I've ditched ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Must admit I have used the inbuilt Windows 10 security for years now, it works doesn’t hog resources auto updates every day and stays in the background.
I remember when I paid for Norton Security once, it was a nightmare to manage and wanted to control everything -Scared.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2021 19 20:58

Well, I tried using Defender built into Windows 10, but after it deleted two of my own batch files without warning me and with no means of recovering them, I've put my hand in my pocket and gone back to NOD32. My licence ends in June and I've forked out £50 for a further 3 years cover (with 19% loyalty discount).

I'd lost my original licence key, so emailed them this morning. They rang me at 9am with my original details. You wouldn't get that kind of support from MS.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Proud to be retired
May 2021 20 10:01

I used eset for a few years, but now use Kaspersky, I read Computer Active and they have very good offers. Eset was getting too expensive.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 20 11:02

My laptop is on Windows 10 "S" and i have had no problems with the security at all, if i open an email and it thinks it is dodgy it flags it up for me to decide if i open it or go with it's findings.
Windows 10 "S" is about as secure as you can get from an inbuilt system of security but, you can only use windows approved downloads, not that it bothers me. -Thumb_up-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2021 20 13:26

It was the little script I wrote to backup my mail program (Thunderbird) that got deleted. Unlike NOD32, Defender didn't put it in a quarantine area where I could restore it and tell Defender it was safe. Not good if you are used to writing your own scripts/batch files and programs. It seems anything it doesn't recognise gets deleted.

Admittedly, the second file it deleted was Defender Control which allowed me to stop Defender enabling me to delete its temporary files without the dreaded message of "The files cannot be deleted because they are in use by another program". It is not a virus, but guess Defender didn't like anything that could temporarily "really" turn it off which could be seen as a security issue. If a little script can do it, so could a virus or it could be easily incorporated into a virus.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Proud to be retired
May 2021 20 15:12

Funny it didn't like Thunderbird, Kaspersky does not like it and flashes warnings (for each email address I use)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 21 09:46

Can i just say how refreshing to hear the word "Antivirus" without reference to a Pandemic.. -Thumb_up-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]