Microsoft Windows 11

Use this forum to discuss about Science, Space exploration, Computers, New gadgets...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2021 25 21:13

Re: Microsoft Windows 11

I ran the software to tell me if I can upgrade my PC, but it says that my IT department needs to be involved as my "Organisation" sets the upgrade details. What?
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 26 08:04

Thanks to MajorGeeks, I've run a tool which is far easier/simpler to check my compatibility for Windows 11. I've attached the tool, unzip it and run it. It doesn't install like Microsoft's PC Check Tool or create the masses of log file entries Microsoft's tool does.

It tells you what you have installed. Here is mine:

Screenshot 2021-06-26 075749.jpg

With regards to TPM, apparently Microsoft may remove this requirement. Also, folk that have installed the leaked version of Windows 11 have said there is no check to see if TPM is turned on and it still runs perfectly if it is not. So there is hope for us all and we might be able to install the free upgrade version of Windows 11 when it arrives through Windows Update in December.
WhyNotWin11.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 27 03:06

You might need to buy one of these https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Compo ... PM-L-R2-0/

At least you can pretend you have got Windows 11 by installing one of the default wallpapers
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Xd_Zd0LmUE

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 27 08:55

Think my computer has too many red and amber warnings for this to cope with Windows 11, still, MS has said they'll support Windows 10 until 2025 by which time my computer will be well ready for replacement.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Gigantor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 28 08:20

Strange that my everyday fairly modern high performance laptop is not supported (4 years old), it's the processor that is not on the supported list, but my other one which was quite literally found in a skip (dead battery and smashed screen and has as much processing power as a potato) this is used for watching videos and music when away, so not fussed if it breaks, which is a year older, is supported. Rather irritating.
"I know that you a really busy (And I can't be bothered), but..." "Could you just...?" "When you get a chance... No rush. (But what I actually mean is right now)"
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 04 15:21

The more I learn about Windows 11, the more I don't want it. You must have an internet connection to install it with a Microsoft Account. You cannot install it with a local account. Also, all but the desktop version, a requirement will be to have a forward facing camera. I assume that is to use the Teams app which by default on the taskbar (or maybe for Hello face recognition).

One reason I prefer a USB camera is that I can unplug it when I am not using it. Apparently, inbuilt cameras could get hacked and could be used to spy on users even when the PC/laptop/TV was in standby.

I just read a report that says around a billion PCs will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 due due its strict requirements.

Microsoft had originally stated that the 'soft floor' CPU requirement was an 8th Generation processor. 7 days later, now that has become the hard floor meaning you will not be able to install Windows 11 if you have an older Intel processor. They have similar restrictions for AMD processors.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 04 17:06

I’ve been a Windows beta tester since Windows Vista and have been notified by Microsoft the Windows 11 build for beta testers will soon be available. Sadly, I have nothing that can run it so short of building a new machine or buying a new compatible laptop I’m stuffed. Shame really as I enjoyed messing around with beta builds trying to break them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 04 21:23

thecaretaker wrote: Sun, 4th Jul 2021, 3:21pm ... Also, all but the desktop version, a requirement will be to have a forward facing camera. I assume that is to use the Teams app which by default on the taskbar (or maybe for Hello face recognition).
The requirement for a front facing camera on non-desktop devices is only for new computers if they want to be certified for windows. It shouldn't stop it installing on an older device that meets the other requirements.