A word of warning

Get all the latest website & forum news. Tell us what you like and don't like about the site...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jul 2021 06 17:37

Re: A word of warning

AndyCornwall wrote: 6th Jul 2021 at 2:57pm What's the dangerous end of a boa constrictor? The whole thing is scary. I think id stand a better chance against it's jaws than the rest of it
-Big grin.png- I never thought of it that way I just kept away from the end with the eyes and mouth, it did tend to wrap itself around anything if it could -Scared.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 06 17:56

Keyolder wrote: 6th Jul 2021 at 5:37pm -Big grin.png- I never thought of it that way I just kept away from the end with the eyes and mouth, it did tend to wrap itself around anything if it could -Scared.png-
A school friend I used to visit, his family has a 12 foot Boa. It had the run of the house, but spent most of its time on peoples laps watching TV. However, I was there once at feeding time. They fed it a live chick once every fortnight if my memory serves me right. This huge slow moving creature suddenly became very active curling itself rapidly around the chick. They can move when they want.

It was always very good natured, apart from when it came to shedding its skin. It used to get a bit grumpy then. They treated it like any other pet in the house and boy did they have a selection of unusual animals. They had an Axolotl in a tank which I found to be extremely odd looking. However, they are virtually extinct now in the wild. I can't remember what, but they had to keep a chemical metal in the tank to prevent it from turning into an adult when it becomes a Salamander I think and no longer wanted to be in water. They then became a land animal.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 07 10:09

thecaretaker wrote: 6th Jul 2021 at 5:56pm A school friend I used to visit, his family has a 12 foot Boa. It had the run of the house, but spent most of its time on peoples laps watching TV. However, I was there once at feeding time. They fed it a live chick once every fortnight if my memory serves me right. This huge slow moving creature suddenly became very active curling itself rapidly around the chick. They can move when they want.

It was always very good natured, apart from when it came to shedding its skin. It used to get a bit grumpy then. They treated it like any other pet in the house and boy did they have a selection of unusual animals. They had an Axolotl in a tank which I found to be extremely odd looking. However, they are virtually extinct now in the wild. I can't remember what, but they had to keep a chemical metal in the tank to prevent it from turning into an adult when it becomes a Salamander I think and no longer wanted to be in water. They then became a land animal.
Had a 5 foot corn snake until it passed a month ago at about 20 years old, was the size of a pencil when we got it. fed it mice and small rats but only dead ones as it is illegal to feed live mammals or birds to anything. Insects are ok as i had a Breaded dragon lizard once that eat live crickets.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 07 14:48

UnderPaid wrote: 7th Jul 2021 at 10:09am ...fed it mice and small rats but only dead ones as it is illegal to feed live mammals or birds to anything.
I didn't know that. This was 45+ years ago, so maybe rules have changed since then. At least I thought they were live chicks, maybe they weren't. -Neutral.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Jul 2021 07 18:11

We used to give this warning out every year.