A word of warning

Get all the latest website & forum news. Tell us what you like and don't like about the site...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jul 2021 06 07:53

A word of warning

Just a word of warning. Please avoid giving holiday dates out on the forum especially if you have posted about living on site. You might give burglar bill a window of opportunity to break-in to your house while you are away.

You'd be surprised how many tiny snippets of information you include in your posts on this forum and in other places on the internet without realising. Somebody may link up all the parts of the jigsaw and use it to their advantage.

Keep safe!

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 08:46

Re: A word of warning

Well said.

I sometimes think from the information on here it would be fairly easy for someone to work out who is who if someone found the forum.
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 09:12

And don't post pictures of yourself on holiday on any social media, they are even more likely to know where you live.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 09:21

And do not answer questions like,
What is your dogs name
Your first school
Your mums full name
And the list is endless but they can pick out of your answers the information they need to scam you, stay safe. -Thumb_up-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 10:24

EBJ wrote: 6th Jul 2021 at 9:21am And do not answer questions like,
What is your dogs name
Your first school
Your mums full name
And the list is endless but they can pick out of your answers the information they need to scam you, stay safe. -Thumb_up-
There was one on Face ache the other day...

What is your age reversed... Not so subtle then... -Big grin.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 10:33

Just to let everyone know, I will be away for the summer holidays- I have had trouble getting a feeder for my pets, therefore I have let them have the run of the house whilst away, downstairs will be the tarantulas, upstairs will be my 10 foot python. -Big grin.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 11:19

Slightly off topic but with a similar theme:

We had an exotic creature man visit the school every year, he visited all the local schools. He brought lizards snakes spiders and birds of prey, the children and myself were both scared and fascinated at his exhibits. The Boa Constrictor was the highlight of the show with volunteers holding the creature across their shoulders on the stage to show its length. I always volunteered for this but avoided the dangerous end. After the show I would help him load his van and one time he said to me, I’m glad that all went well as I haven’t fed the Boa for over a week…
-Shock.png-
Where do you keep all these animals I once asked, I have cages aquariums and garden sheds but the Boa is too big so is free to wander the house he replied. He then added I have no need for a burglar alarm, if they get in they probably won’t get out in one piece…
-Big grin.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 06 12:54

Must be 10+ years ago now, I had a member say that nobody could find out details about him. It took me more than 6 hours going through all his posts, followed links to other forums (he often used the same username), Racebook etc. Joining up up all the dots.

I sent him a PM where I told him what hobbies he had, what car he drove (full details re age, mot etc), what tires he fitted, where he goes on holiday, where he visited to enjoy his hobbies and when, how old he was, who he lived with, number of kids with names, where he worked, the town he lived in and... his full address and telephone number.

If little old me could do it, so could a professional scammer. -Forgive.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Caretaker
Jul 2021 06 14:30

Funny enough it was my sons birthday the other day and he had planned a long weekend away, my wife went to express happy birthday and enjoy your holiday, I told her to delete the holiday announcement as you never know who reads social media post. Keep up the good work lads and keep posting, enjoying my new life and home in Spain. -Cool.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 14:57

What's the dangerous end of a boa constrictor? The whole thing is scary. I think id stand a better chance against it's jaws than the rest of it, but whilst I don't mind snakes, the big or poisonous ones I'm happy to avoid.

I had one for a photo on holiday, heavy, warm and impossibly strong was my take away from it. Luckily we don't have many of those around these parts.

In the UK we are blessed by not having animals that will eat our children and we can camp out without worrying about bears or wolves or anything very poisonous creeping up on us.