Off sick during holidays

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Frankle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 20 19:47

Off sick during holidays

Into week 6 of being off sick, started with lower back pain, moved into my groin then down front of my leg Gp put me on pain killers and referred me for an x Ray and MRI, x-ray revealed nothing still waiting on MRI results. Still in some pain so hopefully will get another fit note signing me off. I am frustrated and angered by the fact that the School saw fit not to have a relief in to cover me, I have had to cancel contractors that I had booked in, I would imagine that none of my weekly/monthly checks have been carried out, none of my holiday tasks will have been done, I dread to think what I am going back to! One good thing, we had some new windows fitted, it was decided that the contractors carrying out the work could have a set of keys so that they could let themselves in and out of school!! Thankfully I only have 4 years until I retire.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Aug 2021 20 20:00

Re: Off sick during holidays

Sounds like you’ve been through the mill Frankle..! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I get your frustration at the no cover situation, but remember what will be will be. You can only do what you can do on your return as you really don’t want to make things worse -Like.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Caretaker
Aug 2021 20 20:05

Get your GP to sign you off for a month, then when the school returns let them get on with it, its not for you to worry about if things have not been done, the school have shown no care or attention to you. Go back when your good and ready, remember you are just a number. -Cool.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2021 20 20:19

As I got older I found I had several issues with really bad back pain that would last for weeks. Each time I put my back out, it was worse than before and took longer to heal.

It's not until now where I am retired, I look back and think how strenuous working in school was. Lifting chairs, tables, setting out exams and moving furniture. Stretching to close windows, bending to unplug equipment... It really is a physical job and we all do things that isn't good for us.

Thankfully, now I am retired, I haven't suffered any back issues.

I used to know when I'd done it. It wouldn't hurt at first, but over the next 12-24 hours the swelling would happen in my spine trapping my sciatic nerve shooting pains from my back, through my groin, down my rear, down my legs and right down to my toes. I ended up on Morphine and Diazepam. The worst pain I have ever experienced.

Look after yourself m8. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 20 21:41

Take care mate, look after that back.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 21 07:45

Your health comes first so don't worry and take care of that back
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 23 09:05

I know it goes against the grain but your focus now should be on your recovery.

The school will deal with itself for a while, when you return just put a note into the records and your diary of the dates you were not in school and anything that results from that time period will have nothing at all to do with you.

But get well soon and look after your back. -Like.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 23 09:49

Try not to worry. Easy for me to say i know, but try to focus on your recovery.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 01 10:53

concentrate on yourself and family you are just a cog in the wheel and will be replaced without a thought of your wellbeing before you even get to the door. its down to the other cogs at the school to step up and sort things out turn your phone off and get better. I have had family retire after working all there life and drop dead within a month most of my family dont even get that far in life. work life balance my back side
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 02 17:27

I sympathise with you, I have a bad lower back and it aches when put under pressure, also pains in my right leg, only mild but there. I also have a hand problem and have lost strength in it and am awaiting an appointment.
With regards " being off sick" over the close down period (note the words). If you have been signed off then you can not be "on holiday" thus they will owe you any time you may have booked off during the close down- don't lose it.