Just half a day

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

TheJani
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 02 21:48

Re: Just half a day

Congratulations on retiring... You passed the finishing post and now its time to enjoy the freedom.

Take care and dont be a stranger [Big grin.png]

The Jani -Waving.png-
Who is this super hero? The mild mannered janitor? 🙂
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 30 10:22

I wish you all the best get a big potting shed so you have somewhere to hide for the other half put your feet up for a while [Like.png]
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 30 10:46

Enjoy yourself and dont look back.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 30 14:03

Good luck mate, as someone who retired only 4 months ago, i can heartily recommend it, no stress anymore. I bumped into my old assistant yesterday and he said i looked 10 years younger already so here's to you regaining your youth [Like.png]
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
cockneychris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 21 17:55

Hi all,
Well it's been a year since I retired and I am liking it a lot. Plenty to do and i've picked up a nice little grass cutting job from a neighbouring farmer. Its just a front and back garden but it takes me 3 hours to do it all. I do this every ten days or so.
I am a little upset with the replacement they got for me in school. He has done virtually nothing including fire alarm testing, legionnaires testing, even down to not locking the gates on time. The staff hate him and the school has gone down rapidly. It's not as if it's particularly difficult is it, just a matter of getting in a rhythm. It was definitely the right time to jump ship as there are only a handful of teachers there that I know, all the rest have left through lack of support. I hear all of this on the grapevine and they all say that they wished I was still there, bless them. I would love to go back to kick this new guy into shape. I was the premises manager and he is a cleaner caretaker so it's not as if he has more to do than I did. I think he just wanted the house to be truthful but hey ho that's their problem now.
We have a huge garden with allotment and that takes up a lot of my time and I am proud of what I have grown even though I couldn't grow grass before we moved. Potatoes, onions, beetroot, swede, carrots, parsnips, all have come up well. I have noted my mistakes so it will be even better next year.
If you are thinking of retiring just do it. Just make sure you plan it out and have somewhere to live if you are residential. I managed to rent a bungalow in a small village and did it up before we retired so we could move straight in without a worry. Good luck with all you do lads.
Don't argue with fools! They'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2022 21 18:18

Your days will be filled with things you want to do or days when you want to do nothing! Enjoy.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 21 18:47

cockneychris wrote: ↑21st Sep 2022 at 5:55pm Hi all,
Well it's been a year since I retired and I am liking it a lot.
Sounds great chris, don't you just love it when a plan comes together, well I do anyway [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2022 21 18:55

It can take a while to adjust. But I would echo the advice that if you can afford to retire, get out. I do not think that working in schools is going to get easier any time soon.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 22 07:25

Glad you are doing well cockneychris.

I have a plan for my escape.....

As regards the school, Walk away and forget about it.
If you were that way inclined and wanted to make a few bob then you could offer your services as consultant to whip the new guy into shape or at least do the statutory jobs!
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 22 08:17

I have been retired just short of 18 months and love the freedom it brings, the not knowing what day it is, the not getting up at 5am, no hassle from the SLT. I never realised just what pleasure can be gained from doing the washing and ironing ( my wife still works part time as she is a few years younger than I am so only fair for me to do this stuff), just the simple things of life can be so rewarding. I recently joined a community gym where most of the people who go are my age and it is like a little club. I still meet up with some of the staff for coffees so i cannot forget the school altogether as they tell me what things are like but i just smile and thank my lucky stars that i am gone. Keep on enjoying it Cockneychris.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.