long term sick

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 09 10:46

long term sick

after 110 days of from another lot of emergency heart surgery. i have done oh drs let me start to exercise 4 days from return to work. i return they obviously not read oh first job sweep the playground
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 09 11:41

Re: long term sick

All the best, glad you are on the mend. As for the playground (inconsiderate so and sos') do it extremely slowly. Don't over do it. If you find it too much, stop and tell them it is too much. -Thumb_up-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 09 12:20

Well done but take it easy, only do what you feel capable of -Like.png- Take care -Thumb_up-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 09 14:34

Should have had a phased return & a meeting with HR. That's how it works here. Discussion about your health and ability to carry out duties. They messed up my phased return & gave me the details when it had finished. But I was told to do what I could & take as long as necessary before doing full time again
From My Posts You Can See I Am On The Spectrum [Forgive.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 09 15:11

HR should have agreed a return to work schedule including limitations on strenuous activities..

As for the playground... sign yourself off sick and go to your doctor and tell them you were protecting your health.. -Like.png-

Seriously look after yourself..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 09 20:25

Gently does it to start with mate
NGJOBS
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 10 09:00

Goes without saying…look after number one!
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 10 09:24

Heart attack 6 years ago, 1 month off work, returned full time, no phased return no interview with HR
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 10 09:44

Like others have said, don't overdo it.

There should have been a meeting with someone at the school to discuss what you are able to do in the short term and what you are able to do afterwards with periodic meetings to check on your well being. (I would have arranged a meeting with Occupational Health to establish safe work parameters for yourself due to the lack of medical expertise in school.) You have to risk assess for some very low risk tasks so why would your school not RA for yourself given the severity of the risk?

Caretakers take a pride in their schools and want them to be seen at their best. If the school is leaving it to you to say what you feel is currently physically beyond you then there is always the likelihood that you will endanger yourself. I think that this is an awful situation for the school to put you in.
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 10 13:45

thanks everyone for your advice and support. i had a telephone call with oh in july thet set up a phased return and details of what could be done not been followed very well by them. im just doing what i can in fairness the business manager hasnt pushed me at all. got a meeting with the head later. asked to go to four days a week
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want