OK, I know I can't have Windows 11

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2021 05 20:25

OK, I know I can't have Windows 11

I have an Intel i7 Haswell processor and no TPM module installed. So, I know I will never be able to have Windows 11 on this PC.

But I just had a pop-up to tell me my PC isn't compatible with Windows 11 and what looks like a permanent link on the update page - Just to rub your nose in it that I don't have an up to date PC -Angry.png-

Thank you Microsoft. I hate you now. This has nothing to do with security, but everything to do with Microsoft working with the computer industry to sell more computers. I wonder how big the brown envelope was that passed under the table... grrrh!!!!

Screenshot 2021-10-05 200916.png
I've not found a way to remove it yet... but I will -Angry.png-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2021 05 21:00

Re: OK, I know I can't have Windows 11

Don't worry, someone will come up with a block sooner or later.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 05 21:55

thecaretaker wrote: 5th Oct 2021 at 8:25pm Thank you Microsoft. I hate you now. This has nothing to do with security, but everything to do with Microsoft working with the computer industry to sell more computers. I wonder how big the brown envelope was that passed under the table... grrrh!!!!
I’ve been running Windows 11 Beta for over 3 months now on an outdated 7-year-old tablet with an Atom dual core processor that fails dismally to meet the Windows 11 upgrade criteria.

Apart from a Windows update that completely froze the tablet around a month ago it’s been running well, a fix was released, and all was well again. No issues at all with it running slow or not being able to cope with the demands of the new operating system.

So yes, I agree Microsoft are out to make money by not allowing an upgrade path for compatible machines.

As a side note, if you can and do decide to update your machine, or buy and new machine with Windows 11 it all works just like Windows 10. Things might be in a slightly different place, but they are all there.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2021 05 23:28

I must admit, over the years when I paid for updates, it always seemed I paid the money but lost the most useful bits of the previous version.

Who remembers Outlook Express?

Windows Media Center was fantastic, but that went too.

Desktop widgets in Windows Vista went.

I had several Microsoft Theme packs. None work now.

Mr Clippy got the sack!

I'm sure you can remember other things that got the boot.

The only thing that has remained throughout the history of Windows is Microsoft Paint.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 06 10:10

thecaretaker wrote: 5th Oct 2021 at 11:28pm I must admit, over the years when I paid for updates, it always seemed I paid the money but lost the most useful bits of the previous version.

Who remembers Outlook Express?
I adopted an ex-office 486 powered machine from school they dumped in a skip, I bought a copy of Windows 3.1 and installed it from 7 or 8 x 3.5-inch floppy disks, but the licence was not accepted. It ran but suffered continual popups re the licence, so I gave up.

This however turned into an expensive hobby updating and building machines trying to make them run faster, so yes I remember all those discontinued programs and add-on's -Blush.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 06 12:01

Keyolder wrote: 6th Oct 2021 at 10:10am I adopted an ex-office 486 powered machine from school they dumped in a skip, I bought a copy of Windows 3.1 and installed it from 7 or 8 x 3.5-inch floppy disks, but the licence was not accepted. It ran but suffered continual popups re the licence, so I gave up.

This however turned into an expensive hobby updating and building machines trying to make them run faster, so yes I remember all those discontinued programs and add-on's -Blush.png-
Going off topic I know, but I remember the days of 3.1 First installing DOS 5 (or 6), then Windows 3.1 finally the PS/2 software for the mouse!!