When should we be told about something in school

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 20 17:10

When should we be told about something in school

Lot of secrets in our school y5 dont know what's going off in the y6 etc . we found out the other day that a child has Tate worms from a parent that got a text. They did not tell staff it was only because the parent asked a teacher what it was all about of course she did not know anything. I talked with a supply teacher yesterday that said I always bring all my own stuff .so I said well you can not be to careful when you are covering for a teachers that's just gone off with covid . They did not tell me that she said surprise she is not here today neither is the teacher. I just think if its something we can catch there is no harm in saying take extra precautions in an area they dont have to use names just classroom x will do. tate worms can be caught by touching anything the child has touched if said child is not keeping clean. knowing the child there is no chance of that happening -Scared.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 20 17:38

Re: When should we be told about something in school

You should be told about anything that can cause you harm (or others through you) that you are likely to come in to contact with.

I know from the under use of paper towels and the duration of pupils' toilet visits that there is a lot of poor hygiene with primary school kids and that they don't observe boundaries with other pupils' and staff's personal space.

Was there a clean down in the room where the teacher with Covid had been?
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 20 22:57

Same here, we've recently had 6 children from across the whole school over a 3 week period get positive covid tests and I wasn't told until a parent asked me about it one morning, I must have seemed a complete idiot, I should have been told about the first case on day 1 so I could make sure the cleaners knew, I only found out today that last week we had a confirmed case of hand foot and mouth. How are we supposed to do our jobs and keep the school clean and healthy if we are not told about stuff.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 21 05:14

I think in this day & age you should expect covid still in school.
How many parents are not bothering to test for covid.

Separately around 16 years or more ago, we were told that there is a probability that in every school on average there are 2 persons with HIV.

So you must protect yourself when cleaning up spillages
From My Posts You Can See I Am On The Spectrum [Forgive.png]
unkiefest
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 21 06:21

I work in a large secondary school with 1796 pupils and 178 staff. We have 238 kids off with positive covid results and 8 staff (hate to think how many dont test). Not once have i been told about new cases i find out through word of mouth. Yet an email goes out to teaching staff not one to none teaching staff.

I have raised this as a complaint to the governors in writing and am waiting for a reply. I also asked the union for advice and they told me to put it in writing to the governors.

I have also found out that the school i work in has the highest covid rate in our area for students. Teachers also laugh at me for still wearing a facemask all day during my shift and use antibac all the time. -Disappointment.png-
nil satis nisi optimum -Like.png-
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 21 07:28

I am lucky I get told everything including what I do not need to know. If a parent says or ask me anything I tell them I know nothing and that I am treated as a Mushroom ( kept in the dark and feed a long of S!!!!) . Although saying I have a good Head I am leaving tomorrow to look after 300 flats so will still be here the pay rise is £4.5K pa
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 21 07:31

eggy wrote: 21st Oct 2021 at 5:14am I think in this day & age you should expect covid still in school.
How many parents are not bothering to test for covid.

Separately around 16 years or more ago, we were told that there is a probability that in every school on average there are 2 persons with HIV.

So you must protect yourself when cleaning up spillages
I totally agree that we should expect it, my issue is not being told about it and looking like an idiot when a parent askes me about it, it's not the first time, a few years ago a teacher had arranged a mobile farm to visit the school, I knew nothing about it until a parent told me while I was on gate duty on the morning it was happening, my Academy regularly have late meetings here until after 10pm and forget to tell me until the day it's happening, its not a hardship as I live on site and I get paid an hour to lock up after them but what if I have plans that mean I'm not at home (live on site) when they finish. Just seems to be a lack of thought and communication means we "at the bottom of the ladder" get overlooked constantly.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 21 07:43

When everything first kicked off with covid we were asked to do a bit of a deeper clean in said area that stopped ages ago. we now find out when we go in there to see a supply teacher . We have more supply than actual teaching staff most days an average of 5 kids per class off at the mo and at least 8 staff all with covid. A lot have stopped testing with it been half term here next week they have holidays planed same goes for some parents the kids are off because its safer to stay home at the mo so they can still go on holiday next week. I wonder where we would stand with the unions if we caught something infectious from school because they did not tell us to take extra care. stay safe people -Like.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 21 07:48

motorr wrote: 21st Oct 2021 at 7:28am I am lucky I get told everything including what I do not need to know. If a parent says or ask me anything I tell them I know nothing and that I am treated as a Mushroom ( kept in the dark and feed a long of S!!!!) . Although saying I have a good Head I am leaving tomorrow to look after 300 flats so will still be here the pay rise is £4.5K pa
Good luck in your new job. -Thumb_up-

It is the same here we have had last week many kids off 8 in one class and not once was i officially informed.
Most stuff that i know is because i do the legwork to find out what is going on.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Oct 2021 21 18:12

The last couple of weeks we have had daily updates e-mailed to all staff about the number of positive cases in each class and teachers off due to covid. Previously I wasn't told anything until for example I was asked if certain classrooms had been deep-cleaned and was then told the whole class had been sent home etc. No consideration for myself or the cleaners that it might have been helpful to know this ASAP instead of the day after it happened.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]