Wot! No School

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 02 20:25

Wot! No School

As most of you know I took early retirement in May after 41 years in the job but I still lived in the school house, until yesterday. I have lived in school houses on site for 36 years with all that it entails, and like all of you who live or have lived on site, I have always been watching for anything untoward happening, answering the door to all and sundry, getting called out for alarms and just about everything else under the sun, it just becomes second nature. The day after I retired I had an offer on a house accepted and it has taken ages but yesterday I finally moved away from school. This morning I opened my curtains and for the first time in 36 years and there was no school to look at, a very strange feeling., I had to go back to the school house today for a final bit of tidying up then went into school to hand in the keys and I have to admit to feeling a bit sad as it was really my final link to school caretaking being severed after such a long time in the job. I got loads of good comments though about how much I am missed and listening the staff talking about the way way things have gone since I left and the way they are heading in the future, made me feel good that I retired when I did. So now it is onwards and upwards, a new era begins -Thumb_up-
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 02 20:54

Re: Wot! No School

Well done -Like.png- congratulations and good luck for the future -Happy.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 02 21:01

A very emotional time for you Magpie. It actually made me feel quite sad reading your post. 40 Years is a long time. But sounds like you will enjoy your new retired life. Good on you and congratulations.

No sound of screaming kids, no school, no callouts tis bliss. I don't live far from my old school and I heard the alarms going off last night. It's a nice feeling knowing you haven't got to go out into the cold night and confront who knows what -Success.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 07:49

Good luck Magpie, time to create a new set of memories.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 08:03

Good luck Magpie.

Enjoy your new found freedom of looking out the window without anything to look after. -Thumb_up-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 08:39

Well Magpie, I hope you have moved closer to that lovely coastline up there! All the best mate.
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Caretaker44
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 10:16

40 odd years service is a great achievement. Best of luck for the next chapter of your life, enjoy your retirement.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 10:54

Magpie i wish you all the best in whatever you do in the future but please stay with us as your years of caretaking knowledge is so valuable to the new members to this noble profession and to some of us old gits as well lol. -Hug.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 03 12:26

EBJ wrote: 3rd Nov 2021 at 10:54am Magpie i wish you all the best in whatever you do in the future but please stay with us as your years of caretaking knowledge is so valuable to the new members to this noble profession and to some of us old gits as well lol. -Hug.png-
I like that... Noble Profession. My old Dad used to say, Nursing, The Police and dare I say teaching were not careers/jobs. They were a Vocation. I'd like to add the roll of Caretaker/Site Manager to that. Who'd do this as a job. Long hours, little money, shift work, being treated as something somebody trod in... No, it's not a job. It's a Vocation -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 03 12:33

Rockstar wrote: 3rd Nov 2021 at 8:39am Well Magpie, I hope you have moved closer to that lovely coastline up there! All the best mate.
The place i have just left was only a couple of miles to the sea, not as close as Jay is, he could have his daily bath in the sea, it almost runs past his front door -Big grin.png- i have moved about another 3 miles inland so still not too far, just a bit more of a cycle ride
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.