25,000 Migrants, 31 have died today

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 10 09:44

25,000 Migrants, 31 have died today

21,000 migrants crossed the channel this year so far in little dinghy's, mostly along the coast between Dover and Hastings. A few have died making the crossing (last week). They risk hypothermia especially as we head deeper into the winter months. These human traffickers must be raking it in.

I can understand the need to get out of their own countries, but no country (not even the EU) seems to have any plan to deal with the sheer numbers of migrants. There ought to be a system in place so that migrants can be dealt with safely and officially.

We in the UK often think we are alone, but actually, as far as I understand it, the numbers that have arrived here in the UK are small compared to some other countries.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 10 10:13

Re: 25,000 Migrants, 31 have died today

It's a complex topic. Realistically the only way, in the long term, to stop illegal immigration is to make the migrants want to stay in their country of origin rather than leave. This is easier said than done. There is very little public appetite for military or peacekeeping action, and even aid has been cut back recently.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Nov 2021 10 11:52

The aid % was reduced but the actual £ given was still up due to the GDP rising (or something like that was reported in the press when someone complained about the % reduction)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 10 17:05

It is appalling how much the human traffickers must be making out of this, you hear of people paying tens of thousands each and none of the 'big players' ever seem to get caught so they are probably laughing their heads off at the whole situation from the comfort of their mansions. Certainly other places in Europe have their own problems as well, look at the current situation on the Poland-Belarus border or small islands in Greece where they have populations of e.g. 10,000 and then 3,000 migrants land in boats in the space of a fortnight. Michel Barnier is running for office in France on a policy where basically he intends to stop all migration for 5 years.

Part of the problem in the UK is that thanks to decades of not doing much about the shortage of affordable housing - veterans finding themselves homeless, others being told they will be on the housing list for 10-15 years etc. - there are difficulties in what to do with people that arrive here without causing resentment amongst people who have paid taxes for decades and get nothing. There seems to be no plan whatsoever apart from taking over hotels for months/years at a time. Priti Patel makes a lot of speeches but never seems to actually do anything.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 10 20:15

I saw on the news yesterday that 2000 migrants a day are coming out of Afghanistan. They are paying the Taliban boarder guards money to let them out. Afghanistan is now so poor that the Taliban can't do anything about it. They know their guards are raking it in and seem happy to turn a blind eye. I wonder where they will all head to?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Caretaker
Nov 2021 11 12:22

The number of Migrants that tried to enter Spain by land and sea so far this year between the 1st January and the 30th September, a total of 28,729 were counted, according to data published by the Ministry of the interior. Over 13,000 made it to mainland Spain, others made it to the Canary Islands and Territories. Spain is often seen as a gateway to Europe as Migrants struggle to cross over from Africa, many often fleeing conflict and extreme poverty and it is often mentioned on the Spanish news about Migrants.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 24 18:35

Just adjusted the title after at least 31 migrants died today when their dingy capsized.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)