Salary review time

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Campernick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 18 20:03

Salary review time

Hi,

I'm not in a school but hoping someone has some sort of advice.

I work at a campsite and live in a 3 bed bungalow onsite which is tied to the job.

I've just had a salary review meeting and they are suggesting a (small) increase which I challenged and said I didn't feel it represented the job I do very well.

The response I got was that I had to remember I get the house for free and that's valued at £20k a year, this is based on the cost of electric, gas, watter, council tax and a rental value of £1200 pcm...

I appreciate I'm lucky in that I am mostly protected from energy price rises etc but am I being a bit unreasonable to think they might have this all wrong.

I'm on site to provide security, am effectively on call 24/7 if we have customers onsite and am regularly called on my day off for deliveries, or just to check something etc.

I'm not moaning, I love the job but I'm not sure they've quite got this part right.

Thanks for any input.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 18 20:58

Re: Salary review time

Oooooh, tricky one as I see both sides. You are in a very fortunate position that I would guess a lot of people would cry out for, but you still need a good living wage.
I don’t know what you earn and you don’t need to say but as you have no rent etc etc etc are still in a comfortable living position?
Are you contracted to be on call 24/7 or has it just ended up that way because you love the job so much?
I’m sorry I can’t really offer any good advice, but personally I wouldn’t rock the boat so to speak if they are offering a small increase. Others may feel differently tho…..
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 18 22:16

Maybe go for the small increase, but be firm on your days off - they must be days off. Non contact time so to speak.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 19 06:19

Do you actually get accomodation for free?

Not taken as part of a tax allowance?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 19 07:44

Hi Campernick,
The answer to "you have a free house" is "You have 24hr security, emergency cover and cover for deliveries etc. That alone would cost them a pretty penny. (remember it must benefit them otherwise they would turf you out and rent out the house to guests)
I'm presuming they raised no issues regarding your performance in the job?

Depending on their answer to that then you could either....
1. accept their offer and carry on
2. accept their offer and just do what you are contracted for
3. decline the offer and contact either your union or ACAS for advice
4. find another job
5. accept the offer based upon their loss of business these past years but ask for a cost of living increase from next year

Without knowing all the details it is difficult to advise but your options are somewhere in that list unless someone else can add any more.

Good luck
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 19 14:39

Are there any other residential caretakers locally whose conditions of service could be reasonably used as comparitors?
Campernick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 19 23:03

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to some of the questions. It's an entirely free house. I don't even pay the broadband or TV licence. So I know I'm onto a winner really. I think they get rround the tax issue by saying it is for the post holder to better carry out their duties.

I had another meeting this afternoon with a new suggestion which I can't complain at, they've ended up offering more than I asked for but fixing for 2 years and coming up with an improvement plan for the house as apparently they appreciate it needs work.

So all in all, a positive outcome I think.

Thanks everyone
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 20 07:56

Campernick wrote: 19th Jan 2022 at 11:03pm Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to some of the questions. It's an entirely free house. I don't even pay the broadband or TV licence. So I know I'm onto a winner really. I think they get rround the tax issue by saying it is for the post holder to better carry out their duties.

I had another meeting this afternoon with a new suggestion which I can't complain at, they've ended up offering more than I asked for but fixing for 2 years and coming up with an improvement plan for the house as apparently they appreciate it needs work.

So all in all, a positive outcome I think.

Thanks everyone
That's good news.
Sounds like you have a boss that at least listens to you..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 20 08:00

Well done!! I think you are in the tiny minority of caretakers who will have something to smile about from this, or last year's, pay reviews/settlements.
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 20 08:12

this is a lovely outcome but could someone just tell me what a salary review is
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want