Radon

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 21 14:32

Radon

Just got an e-mail from our H&S people about radon monitoring. I have not heard of this before in all my 18 years here.
Do any of y'all monitor it? What do you have? How many are clueless about it like me?
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 21 14:36

Re: Radon

ive had them put in monitors to check levels but have never had to do anything myself about it they stayed for a certain period then took them away
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 21 14:40

It's part of our compliance done every 10 years, following the initial testing.

Like PAT testing and Tree reports it should be part of a risk assessment based of initially tested levels and the recommended retest periods.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/ionising/radon.htm

There is a map in that link showing base levels countrywide which will also help with deciding if and when the tests are done.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2022 21 14:47

Interesting... https://www.ukradon.org/information/measuringradon

I had Radon treatment as a baby in the early 50's to remove a Naevus (apparently, I could have been a hunchback so mum said). I still can't go out in the sun without getting prickly heat. They didn't worry about radiation in those days. [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 21 15:33

Growing up in Cornwall it was always a concern as its one of the highest risk areas because of the large amount of granite. Also because of all the old tin mines riddled throughout the county where Radon gas can build up then find its way to the surface.
The school i went to was build out of granite blocks [Scared.png]
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 21 16:21

Yes Trout, its not something we worry about where we are up in the North West, but friends in Cornwall all have well vented areas under the floor levels etc.
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
ComplianceABc
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 22 11:16

Hi, new to the forum( although looked at the website in the past) I am a former caretaker and new statutory compliance officer for a country council.(dealing with non-school environment now) As stated radon monitoring is done via PHE and high level areas( Cornwall) as well the rest of the UK so PHE can see where the hot spots are.

Radon monitors are place in rooms for a period of 3 months and then returned to PHE who will then return the results to you H&S team. The H&S team should is you with a radon risk assessment ( like the fire risk assessment) which should be reviewed and a annual basis.

The radon monitors themselves are small black circles ⚫ with a plastic disc inside, the radon gas scratches aways at.

Never heard of it being done every 10 years, you might be mistaking this for the glazing risk assessment? Regulation 14) with I carried out every 10 years.

Hopefully this information helps.
halarider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 12:47

WE had several radon pumps installed by the LA a few years ago, and then given no guidance. Apparently guidance changed in 2017, and now any readings over a certain level require retesting etc. On top of this, you need to have the pumps , serviced and checked every 2 years.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2022 26 17:16

Now that is spooky. I mentioned about having Radon Treatment as a child in this post viewtopic.php?p=379142#p379142

I've just accessed my full medical history from the NHS (don't ask me how I obtained that) and they go back to 1959 when I had that Radon treatment. Also has the date of my BCG injection at school. There are 10 pages in all.... I'm not going to show you most of it [Big grin.png]

Screenshot 2022-01-26 171132.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 19:30

Yes, we had ours done several years ago. Next testing was in 10 yrs time, which won't be me! [Big grin.png]