Working my notice

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 07:40

Working my notice

I've already retired once. I was 48, with kids in school and a mortgage to pay. A nice pension came with it but not enough to support that little lot.
I took up cab driving. That is, a London black taxi, which was supposed to be a leisurely 4 day week to top that pension up, but the trade took a nose dive as I joined it, and other events at home amplified things so I ended up on long shifts into the early hours to make it work.
Then the pandemic hit. I sat at home and decorated the house etc, but I wasn't ready to retire. Tried a few jobs and landed as sitemanager at a primary school. Been here 15 months and I've had enough.
The fact that they're panicking about who's going to cover says it all. They run the place on skeleton staff and expect everyone to do everything. I was even asked if I could help out in year 1 cos the TA had gone sick the other day. (Just for an hour Dave). They shout about H&S but they're quite happy for me to go up a 3 metre step ladder to put up the --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- decorations. But, honestly, they're not what bothers me. Im just constantly tired. Absolutely --- censored word ---, and I've found that the split shift is awful if you want any kind of work/life balance. Just spent most of the weekend catching up on sleep.
So here I am with 3 weeks to go. Now that the mortgage has gone, and everything else has settled down the pension should keep us comfortable and ill take a few months to chill out before I make any decisions on whether or not I want to work again. I have a couple of options if I want them.
Having said all that its not all been bad. The staff here are really nice and its a pleasure to help them out. The kids are also great and as I have gate duty every day I've got to build up quite a rapport with some of them. There is always something that brings a smile to my face, and I'll miss that.
So anyway, thank you for the support on here, its been invaluable, and I may drop in from time to time to see how things are going, but in 3 weeks time, I'm turning my alarm clock off.
I have zero problems with social distancing. I've been practicing for years.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 07:50

Re: Working my notice

No alarm clock - what a beautiful prospect!

Wishing you all the best in life's next adventure.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 09:30

Good luck to you leatherface Enjoy the freedom.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 09:51

good luck,
hope things work out for you, there is always something, its just finding it.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 31 10:13

Best wishes for the future
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 14:01

Best wishes in your ne profession and stay safe, this is what you are leaving behind as a reminder.
IMG_0804 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
untyull
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 31 14:38

BEST WISHES. I bet you will miss the gate duty. Best part of my job. [Thumb_up.png]
Living the dream
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 31 17:01

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do. I retired at 62 last May and said that i would have a full year off before deciding to do anything else but i find that i am keeping busy enough not to have to think about going out to work, so at the minute i will just do as i am doing until my state pension starts in 3 years time
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 19:02

EBJ wrote: 31st Jan 2022 at 2:01pm Best wishes in your ne profession and stay safe, this is what you are leaving behind as a reminder.

IMG_0804 (2).JPG
Thank you, I'll keep that one [Big grin.png]
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 31 19:04

Untyull, I couldnt agree more, they're funny little beggars.