Cataract Operation - what to do after procedure?

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

John
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 12 15:01

Cataract Operation - what to do after procedure?

Hi I have a Cataract operation at the end of this month.
The Clinic want me to take care after. They said I can leave the Clinic with a sick letter to give the Head teacher.
The Clinic have suggested for two weeks no bending or lifting. For six weeks no dusty or dirty jobs.
What have other Caretakers done after the same operation? Your comments and advice please!
Thanking you,
John [Scared.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2022 13 10:58

Re: Cataract Operation - what to do after procedure?

Apologies as i have never had this done but to me i would always follow what the medical people suggest, your job will still be there at the end but you health always comes first👍
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 13 11:19

I had an uncle that had the operation in both eyes separately, but that was a few years back now so don’t remember the details. I would also adhere to the advice by your medical people as they know best, plus after all it is your eyesight.
I remember my uncle saying he could see colours again after the operation [Success.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 13 13:25

John wrote: 12th Feb 2022 at 3:01pm Hi I have a Cataract operation at the end of this month.
The Clinic want me to take care after. They said I can leave the Clinic with a sick letter to give the Head teacher.
The Clinic have suggested for two weeks no bending or lifting. For six weeks no dusty or dirty jobs.
What have other Caretakers done after the same operation? Your comments and advice please!
Thanking you,
John [Scared.png]
My dad has had both done in recent years, and the best advice is to do exactly what the docs tell you.

Personally I would think that 2 weeks no bending or lifting would be extremely difficult in this line of work - it's in our nature to bend over and pick stuff up. Is there anyone else that can/will sort stuff like deliveries?

2 weeks off completely personally, that way you're completely covered, unless of course you can do desk work for 2 weeks.
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 14 13:59

Firstly, your eyes are perhaps one of the most important sensory organs that you have, and on saying this you have to go along with your surgeon. I had my first cataract operation and as I had just started for the school, I took one week off and took it easy especially in dusty conditions and lifting. When it came to my second operation 4 years later, I took the full 2 weeks off and was very careful as to what I did after that. Since retirement, I have had nothing but problems with my eyes, tear in the retina of my left eye, fully detached retina in my right eye, followed by a fully detached retina in same eye 2 months later. I was left with a macular hole in my right eye which has been operated on and was only partially successful.

If your surgeon says 2 weeks off, then make sure you do that, and don't be going into school to unlock and lock am and pm, like many caretakers would do. Signed off sick is what it says, regardless of what the school says.

On saying all this the operation is not as bad as it sounds, painless and quick and easy, good luck with it. [Like.png] [Thumb_up.png]
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 14 15:15

Bending and lifting increase internal body pressure, blood pressure and a squishing effect which in turn looks for a way out. Follow the medical advice, eyes are really important.