Total disrespect

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2022 18 22:28

Re: Total disrespect

Drone wrote: 18th Feb 2022 at 5:06pm This sort of SLT behaviour - and particularly that of the HT, does not even surprise me anymore. This sort of arrogant contempt & going over our heads without even the good manners to speak to us seems to be par for the course. It was already well underway when I retired 8 years ago. I hate to think how bad things have got in schools these days. I am glad that most of my time in academia was in the days when Heads knew how to treat people decently.
I completely agree with Drone. To me the onset of Academies and the useless management that run them have made the job of Site managers/ Caretakers much less appreciated than was my experience for my first 35 years in the job. The last 6 years slowly started to erode the standing of my position until the last 3 years under a new CEO it became unbearable with stress/staff cuts and savage pay cuts, causing me real problems ultimately ending by me taking early retirement to save my sanity last year. I fear for the future of Caretaking and would not ever recommend anyone to do the job now.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Zareeka
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 22 12:27

Frank and open discussions are they way forward. Agree on a set of ground rules and then stick to them.
While HT's, SLT etc can get blinkered with their requests it is down to individual schools and academies to the establish appropriate and fair working expectations.
As a result, all lettings, extra hours and weekend working have to be agreed with our site staff in advance. If they are not available then it doesn't happen. Fortunately our staff are fairly remunerated for extra and unsociable work time and have an excellent relationship with the senior staff and head office.

In short, don't get angry and upset. Explain your situation calmly and then come to a mutually acceptable solution. Site staff are expected to work a 'reasonable' amount of overtime/answer emergencies etc but not be at the beck & call 24/7.

It always pays to remember that the school premises cannot be occupied by members of staff or hirers if there isn't a health and safety trained member of staff either onsite or on emergency call.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 22 18:28

Zareeka wrote: 22nd Mar 2022 at 12:27pm Site staff are expected to work a 'reasonable' amount of overtime/answer emergencies etc but not be at the beck & call 24/7..
Sounds like management talking.
I thought overtime was voluntary not compulsory..
Emergency call out is different
From My Posts You Can See I Am On The Spectrum [Forgive.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2022 22 18:42

eggy wrote: 22nd Mar 2022 at 6:28pm Sounds like management talking.
I thought overtime was voluntary not compulsory..
Emergency call out is different
Depends on the contract of employment I would guess.
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 29 08:21

Communication in my school is appalling! If an email goes out to all teachers, or if an event is mentioned on a staff meeting (only attendees are teachers) then it is assumed by the HT that everybody knows!!

We had parents' evenings three times this week (Tue/Wed/Thurs). I found out when a note was left on the staffroom whiteboard on the Monday morning. Nobody had asked me for tables, chairs etc etc No information, no direction, no communication.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 29 08:27

Mastergunner wrote: 29th Mar 2023 at 8:21am Communication in my school is appalling! If an email goes out to all teachers, or if an event is mentioned on a staff meeting (only attendees are teachers) then it is assumed by the HT that everybody knows!!

We had parents' evenings three times this week (Tue/Wed/Thurs). I found out when a note was left on the staffroom whiteboard on the Monday morning. Nobody had asked me for tables, chairs etc etc No information, no direction, no communication.
Thats poor,
maybe speak to the head about the communication to you for events etc. but go with a solution not a problem.
We have 2 large whiteboards in the staffroom which cover 2 weeks with all the events that are happening, this is a massive help to everyone to know what is happening.

Good luck
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 29 15:22

Vera wrote: 29th Mar 2023 at 8:27am Thats poor,
maybe speak to the head about the communication to you for events etc. but go with a solution not a problem.
We have 2 large whiteboards in the staffroom which cover 2 weeks with all the events that are happening, this is a massive help to everyone to know what is happening.

Good luck
we have one large whiteboard but it is only filled in on the Monday morning for that week !!
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 29 16:49

I have access to the school calendar on which all events are posted. I just don't look at it. [Success.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off