Windows 11 wipe

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 07 14:09

Windows 11 wipe

Just been reading the "SUN" newspaer article on the web where Mocrosoft say a new security update for Windows 11 security you will have to have your Windows 11 wiped clean, this is if you updated from Windows 10 to 11 not if your new compputor came with it all ready installed.

I waited ages to update just to see if they sorted any problems on the new Windows 11 first and now this is even worse a complete wipe off and start from scratch, i am not happy to say the least. [Mad.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 07 14:42

Re: Windows 11 wipe

Hold tight EBJ it might not affect you, it’s only a minority that are affected.
All newspapers use click bait headlines to either grab attention or create doom and gloom…
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 07 15:18

From what I've been reading, it is the free upgrade to Window 11 from Windows 10 that is about to end. Microsoft have said that any PC that is suitable to upgrade to Windows 11 must do so by 2025. However, if you decide to upgrade after the free upgrade period, you'll have to pay. Some people don't like Windows 11 and want to go back to Windows 10. This can only be done if you want to keep all your files and programs/apps if you didn't delete the 'go back' option. However, Windows tends to automatically delete the previous set up after 'x' amount of weeks. This has left people wanting to revert back to Windows 10 (for whatever reason) with no option but to do a fresh install (assuming you still have your activation code). What they are not saying in actual words is this affects people who used the hooky way to upgrade their main Windows 10 PC to Win 11 when their system wasn't eligible.

As far as I am aware, I've not seen any reports of a windows update that forces people to go back to Win 10.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 07 15:28

I couldn't see anything from the blog spot link in the Sun's article said to point to the article in question: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/18185612/ ... -security/

I just read, it is only an issue if you want to use the new Smart App Control feature. Basically, MS want firm to pay to be available in the Microsoft Store. Any Apps that were downloaded and installed from outside the store might get wiped by this new feature if it doesn't think they are safe so MS won't let you turn it on for an existing system. It can only be turned on with a clean install.

Apparently, once turned on, you cannot go back and turn it off. You would have to use a previously saved image (Using something like Macrium Reflect) or reinstall the OS a fresh.

If you received it as part of a Windows update on an already running device, you won't be able to turn it on unless you re-install or reset Windows.

Smart App Control adds significant protection from malware, including new and emerging threats, by blocking apps that are malicious or untrusted. Smart App Control also helps to block potentially unwanted apps, which are apps that may cause your device to run slowly, display unexpected ads, offer extra software you didn't want, or do other things you don't expect.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/top ... 98afdb7003

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 08 12:26

thecaretaker wrote: 7th Apr 2022 at 3:18pm From what I've been reading, it is the free upgrade to Window 11 from Windows 10 that is about to end. Microsoft have said that any PC that is suitable to upgrade to Windows 11 must do so by 2025. However, if you decide to upgrade after the free upgrade period, you'll have to pay. Some people don't like Windows 11 and want to go back to Windows 10. This can only be done if you want to keep all your files and programs/apps if you didn't delete the 'go back' option. However, Windows tends to automatically delete the previous set up after 'x' amount of weeks. This has left people wanting to revert back to Windows 10 (for whatever reason) with no option but to do a fresh install (assuming you still have your activation code). What they are not saying in actual words is this affects people who used the hooky way to upgrade their main Windows 10 PC to Win 11 when their system wasn't eligible.

As far as I am aware, I've not seen any reports of a windows update that forces people to go back to Win 10.
Tnks CT for the heads up, appreciated. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 08 14:29

EBJ wrote: 8th Apr 2022 at 12:26pm Tnks CT for the heads up, appreciated. [Thumb_up.png]
Looks more like the reason behind this is as I explained in my second post m8 viewtopic.php?p=381507#p381507

It's all a bit OTT and I can see why so many people are moaning about Microsoft. [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)