Do you know what your average monthly broadband data use is?

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2022 18 09:29

Do you know what your average monthly broadband data use is?

I just had a shock, I was looking at my broadband stats from my ISP and since January, I've been averaging 100-194GB per month. March was the highest use at 194GB. My first thought was what the hell was using that much data and how much does my ISP regard as acceptable use. Although I have unlimited broadband, they do have an acceptable use policy.

Well, it seems I don't need to worry. Checking the UK average usage, they estimate a normal household is using 700GB a month in 2022. This is mainly due to the amount of TV streaming everybody does.

Have you ever checked to see how much data you use per month?

Screenshot 2022-04-18 091910.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 18 10:39

Re: Do you know what your average monthly broadband data use is?

Just had a look at mine as was quite interested to see what it would be. Was quite surprised we average just over 1TB a month!

Highest recently was last September, with 1325GB
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 18 14:39

steveg wrote: 18th Apr 2022 at 10:39am Just had a look at mine as was quite interested to see what it would be. Was quite surprised we average just over 1TB a month!

Highest recently was last September, with 1325GB
Wow, I have nothing to worry about then. I was worried I'd be cut off for over use [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 18 15:37

I can’t figure out where to look for mine now. Used to be easy to find on talktalk but Vodafone seem to hide it?
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 19 08:12

Not a clue what my usage is, wouldn't even know where to look on Virgin media.

On a similar vein.. (Mods feel free to move this to an new topic if you want. [Thumb_up.png] )
I'm going to be moving away from a package tv, phone and broadband deal to a Broadband only deal as almost everything I watch is online now and what I do watch of broadcast tv I can live without.
Who in your own opinions is the best broadband only company for reliability, and service?
We do need a landline phone as well because my wife needs this as a backup phone as she is a childminder.
Over to you folks..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 19 09:20

Vera wrote: 19th Apr 2022 at 8:12am Not a clue what my usage is, wouldn't even know where to look on Virgin media.

On a similar vein.. (Mods feel free to move this to an new topic if you want. [Thumb_up.png] )
I'm going to be moving away from a package tv, phone and broadband deal to a Broadband only deal as almost everything I watch is online now and what I do watch of broadcast tv I can live without.
Who in your own opinions is the best broadband only company for reliability, and service?
We do need a landline phone as well because my wife needs this as a backup phone as she is a childminder.
Over to you folks..
If you haven't already would recommend checking out the Money Saving Expert site (started by Martin Lewis). Its been a while since I renewed my own (it used to be the Post Office but it was take over mid-contract) but it compares cost and user ratings.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 19 09:21

Vera wrote: 19th Apr 2022 at 8:12am Not a clue what my usage is, wouldn't even know where to look on Virgin media.

Over to you folks..
I'm with Zen Internet. They have been totally reliable and their customer service (UK based) has been fantastic. My phone line went down and I was astounded when a OpenReach engineer rang the door bell 10 minutes after my call and fixed it.

The only thing I will say is that Zen are not cheap. But as with everything in life, you pay for what you get.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 19 09:34

Dexter wrote: 19th Apr 2022 at 9:20am If you haven't already would recommend checking out the Money Saving Expert site (started by Martin Lewis). Its been a while since I renewed my own (it used to be the Post Office but it was take over mid-contract) but it compares cost and user ratings.
Thanks Dexter,

I usually look at the site as I have found it excellent in the past for other things so I will take a look.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 19 09:37

thecaretaker wrote: 19th Apr 2022 at 9:21am I'm with Zen Internet. They have been totally reliable and their customer service (UK based) has been fantastic. My phone line went down and I was astounded when a OpenReach engineer rang the door bell 10 minutes after my call and fixed it.

The only thing I will say is that Zen are not cheap. But as with everything in life, you pay for what you get.
Thanks CT, i will take a look.
Don't mind if it is not the cheapest in this case as customer experience is more important. Just so long as it's not too silly price wise..
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 19 13:30

I'm looking to split mine too - have been with sky broadband for a while now, but Trooli seem to be rolling out quickly in Sussex and now cover my area, so I can get 300mbit fiber broadband. Will have to transfer my landline over to voip as my parents still use it in the Annex, but would have to do this in 3 years anyway when landlines cease to exist.