Menopause

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2022 26 16:24

Menopause

For the past few months they have been advertising Menopause skin cream for women with Menopausal skin.

I've just seen an advert for hair shampoo for women with Menopausal hair.

I'm no expert on people suffering from the Menopause (Hay, I'm a man). But checking the NHS website, there is no mention of Menopausal skin conditions or Menopausal hair problems. Are these firms convincing people they have issues when actually they don't?

I seem to remember something on QI where a company invented the term Halitosis just to sell mouth wash. Halitosis was not a medical term for bad breath, but it has become so since the firm convinced everybody that they had bad breath and use their product. Is the Menopausal skin & hair conditions the same? [Shock.png]

If this is a made up thing, then next they will be selling men products for the "Male Menopause"

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 26 17:06

Re: Menopause

I think the Male menopause is caused by menopausal women

I kid you not there is a trust policy for dealing with the menopause.. [Big grin.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 26 17:23

So today on the news there was a request for pharmacists to be able to modify prescriptions for HRT, ie 2 lots of 10mg rather than 20mg due to stock shortages as they are not allowed to differ from the doctors "order". So why didn't a clever pharmacist suggest they provide the local doctors with what is available- thus they would only prescribe what is on the shelf or will note a delay due to availability. Nah, too much like a good idea for them to keep the doctors informed on stock levels.
Before anyone says it, we are only talking about a few medicines not all the medicines. I'm sure a doctor would go for the above scenario if they were told, instead we would then have the pharmacists changing orders then requesting a huge pay rise to do it.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 26 17:36

No expert on the menopause, or hair, but when I mentioned that I had no issue with my own silvering barnet to my barber she mentioned something that may be relevant. If you go gray, your skin colour changes too to complement it. It means that if a man dyes his hair it would stand out. She explained that it is the same for a woman but it is usually less obvious due to the use of make-up. Maybe, the menopausal hair and skin products claim to keep the previous look/colouring and texture of both....just a thought. I'm happy to be contradicted!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 26 18:01

twiglets wrote: 26th Apr 2022 at 5:23pm So today on the news there was a request for pharmacists to be able to modify prescriptions for HRT, ie 2 lots of 10mg rather than 20mg due to stock shortages as they are not allowed to differ from the doctors "order". So why didn't a clever pharmacist suggest they provide the local doctors with what is available- thus they would only prescribe what is on the shelf or will note a delay due to availability. Nah, too much like a good idea for them to keep the doctors informed on stock levels.
Before anyone says it, we are only talking about a few medicines not all the medicines. I'm sure a doctor would go for the above scenario if they were told, instead we would then have the pharmacists changing orders then requesting a huge pay rise to do it.
I think it may be because there are multiple pharmacies even in a local area, you can take a prescription to any pharmacy anywhere in the country to get it filled. There are 6 pharmacies in our relatively small town all independent of each other so how could the doctor know which pharmacy has or doesn't have the stock let alone where the patient may take it?

I see nothing wrong with a pharmacist being able to supply 2x 10mg tablets if the prescription says 20mg. as long as the number of days supply and the medicine type is the same why would it matter?
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 26 19:04

There was a storeroom in our school converted into an accessible toilet, it was done on the cheap because of lack of funds. I called it the menopause toilet, the reason being the toilet flushed until it was sorted with hot water…
[Scared.png] I'll get my coat [Blush.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 27 07:30

Keyolder wrote: 26th Apr 2022 at 7:04pm There was a storeroom in our school converted into an accessible toilet, it was done on the cheap because of lack of funds. I called it the menopause toilet, the reason being the toilet flushed until it was sorted with hot water…
[Scared.png] I'll get my coat [Blush.png]
Spat my tea out again.... [Big grin.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 27 07:35

The hormone changes during menopause can cause the skin to dry and become more sensitive, so too can other things.

Marketing will target to sell stuff.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2022 27 08:52

Slightly off topic, my other moan (while I am at it) is Caffeine. There seems to be an obsession of putting Caffeine in everything these days from shampoo, headache pills on top of all the usual soft drinks. I can't see the benefit of putting an addictive drug such as Caffeine in things like shampoo. Does it make you wash your hair more often because you need a Caffeine fix?

I used to drink gallons of coffee when I was working. If I went without a coffee for more than an hour I got terrible migraine headaches. During a fasting blood test at the doctors, I was so bad I was throwing up outside in the drain. I had to wean myself off Caffeine and limit myself to just 2 cups of coffee a day. I drink Caffeine free & sugar free coke now during the day.

Seems they know most of the population is addicted to the stuff and by adding Caffeine as an ingredient in Paracetamol/Aspirin tablets gets rid of the headache by upping your Caffeine level further to stop you suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Moaning hat off now [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 27 09:33

My late mum was prescribed Parasetamol by her doctor and she got 100 at a time (she only had to take one a day) but then she canceled the prescription as she found out she could buy them cheaper from Morrisons than the chemists that supplied and charged the NHS, she said it was rediculas the price chemists were charging and she could afford to pay herself for them. [Disappointment.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)