Shorts in the Workplace

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jul 2022 29 09:48

Re: Shorts in the Workplace

thecaretaker wrote: 28th Jul 2022 at 6:51am I never wore shorts for the same reason even in the holidays. I actually wore a shirt and tie and always looked smart. I seemed to get a lot more respect from students who called me SIR as opposed to numerous other things they could have called me. Obviously, I didn't wear the tie during the holidays (too darn hot as they built my school with a glass roof and it was like working in a green house). But even in the holidays I never wore shorts. I wouldn't impose my short chubby legs on anyone. [Big grin.png]
My school also had a glass roof that covered almost the whole length of the building and like you say it was like a greenhouse but like you i never even wore shorts during the hols, it was just a standard that i ahered to during my working life in school
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
W3lshlad
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 03 23:24

I’ve been at my school for nearly 10 years, & I’ve never worn a pair of trousers. I am in shorts and t shirt all year round (maybe a hoodie now & again)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 07:19

Just reading the posts and I don't think what we call shorts is the same thing as what y'all are talkin' about. [Crazy.png]
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 07:20

thecaretaker wrote: 28th Jul 2022 at 6:51am I never wore shorts for the same reason even in the holidays. I actually wore a shirt and tie and always looked smart. I seemed to get a lot more respect from students who called me SIR as opposed to numerous other things they could have called me. Obviously, I didn't wear the tie during the holidays (too darn hot as they built my school with a glass roof and it was like working in a green house). But even in the holidays I never wore shorts. I wouldn't impose my short chubby legs on anyone. [Big grin.png]
I'm in shorts now. All the pupils call me sir.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 08:22

trout39843 wrote: 4th Oct 2022 at 7:19am Just reading the posts and I don't think what we call shorts is the same thing as what y'all are talkin' about. [Crazy.png]
What do you think they are?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 08:34

Nail wrote: 4th Oct 2022 at 8:22am What do you think they are?
Replace the word shorts with hot pants and you are close..

Now I've got images of caretakers in daisy duke cutoffs.... [Shock.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 08:38

Vera wrote: 4th Oct 2022 at 8:34am Replace the word shorts with hot pants and you are close..

Now I've got images of caretakers in daisy duke cutoffs.... [Shock.png]
I don't think the pupils would call me sir if I wore those.....
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 14:18

jay wrote: 27th Jul 2022 at 5:09pm Just been issued a logo’d pair of shorts.
[Thumb_up.png]
They done it with our work trousers a few years ago, they said incase we were to go to the pub in them, but you could never see the logo anyway as it was under the flap pocket, they even spoke about doing something with the boots. They Haven't said anything about the trousers we've bought this year
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 04 15:30

Ash wrote: 4th Oct 2022 at 2:18pm They done it with our work trousers a few years ago, they said incase we were to go to the pub in them, but you could never see the logo anyway as it was under the flap pocket, they even spoke about doing something with the boots. They Haven't said anything about the trousers we've bought this year
Wow!
so they are not concerned about displaying a professional image they only want to make you identifiable if you go to the pub?

Priceless... [JawDropped.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2022 04 20:06

In my last job we had a builder who always wore loose fitting shorts. When he laid on his back to do some skirting level work, his organs of matrimonial necessity were often seen making an escape. Once spotted, never forgotten. [Shock.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)