Understanding the NHS surgeries

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 02 12:06

Re: Understanding the NHS surgeries

You know what bugs me the most about the NHS hospitals, the fact they charge the staff to park at work which amounts to a fair bit of their hard-earned wages just to be at work. [Angry.png]

And the people who are supposed to look after them arrive for work at the house of commons in expensive cars and go straight to the underground parking these MP's have and park for free, they also get subsidised meals and drinks and all the other perks, and all have private medical care. [Angry.png] [Angry.png] [Angry.png] [Angry.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2022 02 12:24

Nail wrote: 2nd Nov 2022 at 8:58am Does your hospital not triage but Emergency and non-emergency?
Yes, it took 7 hours before seeing the initial triage nurse and according to the TV monitor, they prioritise children and the elderly. If it took 9 hours at the age of 93, I dread to think how long a 30 year old would have to sit there.

I met a previous bosses wife on the way in, she said she had bought her elderly mother-in-law in as she collapsed. She was told the waiting time was between 7-10 hours. I questioned this with the receptionist, she said it was 7-10 hours earlier in the morning, but they had a number of additional doctors bought in and it would be less time than that. I can only assume this is the waiting time to wait before you see the triage nurse. Then you get told to go back into the waiting room until you are called again.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 02 13:25

thecaretaker wrote: 2nd Nov 2022 at 12:24pm Yes, it took 7 hours before seeing the initial triage nurse and according to the TV monitor, they prioritise children and the elderly. If it took 9 hours at the age of 93, I dread to think how long a 30 year old would have to sit there.

I met a previous bosses wife on the way in, she said she had bought her elderly mother-in-law in as she collapsed. She was told the waiting time was between 7-10 hours. I questioned this with the receptionist, she said it was 7-10 hours earlier in the morning, but they had a number of additional doctors bought in and it would be less time than that. I can only assume this is the waiting time to wait before you see the triage nurse. Then you get told to go back into the waiting room until you are called again.
At mine they separate Emergency and 'GP' type visits to different areas.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 02 14:49

It took 2 1/2 hours for a 7 month old baby- not your hospital but one a little bit west of you (E). Today my daughter had a procedure in there and she said the A & E was heaving- so who knows how long it would be today??
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2022 02 17:52

twiglets wrote: 2nd Nov 2022 at 2:49pm It took 2 1/2 hours for a 7 month old baby- not your hospital but one a little bit west of you (E). Today my daughter had a procedure in there and she said the A & E was heaving- so who knows how long it would be today??
I think they are both part of the same trust if I am guessing correctly. [zip.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
mikefido
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2022 23 13:47

Doctors ... as big a waste of time as teachers!

The wife spotted a rash on my back, over time it seemed to be getting larger.
Phoned the surgery "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment " to which I reply "surely they'll need to see it", but no.
So telephone appointment comes two weeks later "you best go and see the pharmacist". So off I go, pharmacist has a look and says I need to see a doctor!
Phone the doctors again "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment " to which I reply "But I've already had one, I've seen the pharmacist and they recommend I see a doctor", but no, again.
Wait for another phone call and finally get an appointment. Prescribed some eczema cream. "Give it a week and see what happens" he says.
Gave it a week, no change, phone the surgery again, you guessed it, "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment ". I try to explain that I've already seen a doctor about this, but no, again.
Wait for another phone call and this doctor says "you were only prescribed a very low dosage of the cream, try this one"
Pick the new prescription up, try it for a week with no result.
Phone them again, yep, "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment ". By this time I've realised there's no point arguing!
Wait for another call "can you send some photos?"
So I send some photos of my back, and a few days later I get another call and to try another cream (it was actually a shampoo) ... which actually cleared it up!
This all took over two months!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 14:35

mikefido wrote: 23rd Nov 2022 at 1:47pm Doctors ... as big a waste of time as teachers!

The wife spotted a rash on my back, over time it seemed to be getting larger.
Phoned the surgery "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment " to which I reply "surely they'll need to see it", but no.
So telephone appointment comes two weeks later "you best go and see the pharmacist". So off I go, pharmacist has a look and says I need to see a doctor!
Phone the doctors again "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment " to which I reply "But I've already had one, I've seen the pharmacist and they recommend I see a doctor", but no, again.
Wait for another phone call and finally get an appointment. Prescribed some eczema cream. "Give it a week and see what happens" he says.
Gave it a week, no change, phone the surgery again, you guessed it, "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment ". I try to explain that I've already seen a doctor about this, but no, again.
Wait for another phone call and this doctor says "you were only prescribed a very low dosage of the cream, try this one"
Pick the new prescription up, try it for a week with no result.
Phone them again, yep, "oh, you'll need a telephone appointment ". By this time I've realised there's no point arguing!
Wait for another call "can you send some photos?"
So I send some photos of my back, and a few days later I get another call and to try another cream (it was actually a shampoo) ... which actually cleared it up!
This all took over two months!
Welcome to the two tier health service,
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 14:43

im waiting on an emergency mri scan went to a local hospital to be told we dont do it here we just needed to see you first as you have an icd and check its compatible. so they called one hospital that said no. i had the same problem earlier in the year when i had a tia and need my brain doing urgently within two weeks so they write a letter to another county hospital where i had my icd fitted. 4 weeks later the reply came saying it was ok but to late for the scan. told this hospital this happened earlier in the year they said we have no proof so will have to go through the same process. ridiculous and dont get me started on my gp im not sure they even have drs there as ive not been allowed to see one in 3 years just told go to hospital. no wonder hospitals are at breaking point

rant over
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
Caretak3r
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 14:57

Thank whoever voted for the Tories. Austerity and years of underfunding & cuts has resulted in this.
They are doing the best they can with what they've got.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 18:19

Caretak3r wrote: 23rd Nov 2022 at 2:57pm Thank whoever voted for the Tories. Austerity and years of underfunding & cuts has resulted in this.
They are doing the best they can with what they've got.
Got a sign they can use.

IMG_0804 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)