Oh what to do.

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 10:56

Oh what to do.

Okay.

As some of you will know as this is a topic I have posted about previously I find myself in a conundrum.

What follows some people will see as an enviable position to be in but I can't seem to be able to let it go and therefore ask what would you do?

In the summer the new BM appointed stand alone Managed Cleaning Contractors. The reason being was that she could see how much of my time was being taken up managing the school cleaners and having to cover if one was absent (which started to happen a lot) and she wanted me to focus more on my other responsibilities as a Site Manager.

Out of the previous 4 cleaners employed by the school two left for positions in other schools and the two remaining cleaners were 2 payed over to the new contractors (one of the ex school cleaners was made supervisor with extra hours).

Now this is what I was then told by the BM. "The cleaning from now on is no longer your responsibility, the cleaners are managed by O**** any cleaning issues are dealt with by the supervisor if a cleaner goes down it is up to them to provide cover and you do not need to order anything from the suppliers other than consumables such as hand towels and soap".

So here comes the what to do.

The supervisor is supposed to start at 15.15. She cleans the staff room and then starts her area at the same time as the other two cleaners at 15.30 until 17.30. Once their area is finished in the remaining time they find something else to do (as instructed by the supervisor.)
Once the cleaners have finished two leave for home and the remaining supervisor checks random rooms and then completes paperwork until 17.45. (my original finish time was 17.30 so I have had to alter my hours to accommodate this).

Note, I wrote "supposed to". What actually happens is the Supervisor comes in with one of the cleaners at 15.00, they sit in the staffroom having a brew and then at they go out for a fag. Generally though all 3 cleaners are getting their trolleys loaded at 15.30. They then crack on and do their areas are finished by 15.20 at the latest and go for a chat in the staff room, outside for a fag just to eek it out until 17.30. The remaining supervisor then twiddles her thumbs and swipes out about 17.40 most nights at which point I am finishing locking up and done for 17.45.

In the morning as I do my walk round I'm noticing tables and bins still dirty and other things that wouldn't have been left like that before which incidentally are usually in the Supervisors area.

There it is, I am having to finish later whilst others are doing nothing and seeing things that I wouldn't let go previously but have been told "the cleaning is nothing to do with me" even though it grates on me.

What would you do?
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
halarider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 11:23

Re: Oh what to do.

I would probably make a list of any issues and suggest a cleaning check with the BM or I used to ask a governor. Then, any issues would be communicated to the cleaning supervisor and their line manager. If there is still issues after this has been flagged, you can give notice to the contractor and look for a new one. Im not a legal expert, so this is just my thinking.
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 11:29

As long as there are no health and safety or safeguarding issues, the how they get the work done is no longer your responsibility, with outsourced cleaning you are paying for a service and need to monitor against their sla / service agreement.

Note and communicate the issues with the standard of the cleaning where it does not meet the specification. Check with the SBM, they should have a contact or an agreed way of feeding this back. They will likely also have regular meetings with the cleaning contractor to monitor performance.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 11:44

I would take note of the issues with plenty of photographs where the cleaning is done poorly (otherwise they will probably just deny everything). Then send it to the BM and they can deal with it.

You have been told it is not your responsibility, but if it isn't dealt with you might end up having to do extra cleaning as it might be generally ignored but when teachers complain, important visitors are coming etc. and the place is a tip suddenly you might get asked to clean up. I have been in a similar situation and my reports were ignored until a visitor went to use a toilet and it was filthy and no soap or hand towels and it then instantly became a big deal.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 12:32

I have contract cleaners, and always have.

Do you have a communications book? If not, ask for one. If yes, write in the jobs missed.

Do you have a termly audit / check in with the cleaning contractors area manager? If not, you should (or someone should be). If you do, raise it with them.
For context, I had a similar issue with a supervisor trimming their hours either end of their shift. Raised through the appropriate channels and they are no longer the supervisor here.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2022 11 13:21

They are the contractor which makes you the client. The clients job is to monitor the work of the contractor and formally hand a list of all failing standards to the contractor to rectify. They are getting paid to clean your school and no doubt for a fee and to an agreed standard. You should be given time each day to monitor their performance and ensure the school is getting value for money. If they are failing to meet the agreed standards required then it is for the school to refuse to pay the contractor to an agreed default.

Have you got written terms of what, when and how they clean "Their contract to you"?

If this was a flimsy wishy washy agreement and no minimum standards were agreed, then you don't have a leg to stand on. You cannot be made responsible for a contractor that doesn't have a contract.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 14:12

thecaretaker wrote: 11th Nov 2022 at 1:21pm They are the contractor which makes you the client. The clients job is to monitor the work of the contractor and formally hand a list of all failing standards to the contractor to rectify. They are getting paid to clean your school and no doubt for a fee and to an agreed standard. You should be given time each day to monitor their performance and ensure the school is getting value for money. If they are failing to meet the agreed standards required then it is for the school to refuse to pay the contractor to an agreed default.

Have you got written terms of what, when and how they clean "Their contract to you"?

If this was a flimsy wishy washy agreement and no minimum standards were agreed, then you don't have a leg to stand on. You cannot be made responsible for a contractor that doesn't have a contract.
Thank you one and all for the replies but I feel I need to clarify something.

The BM made the decision to take on this Managed Cleaning Company. It is her "baby". Although I was told I would be involved by meeting O***** and to make myself available it never happened and I have been totally ignored. Even when the BM became aware of issues being raised to me she merely sent a whole staff email out informing staff that the cleaning is now managed by O***** and any issues should be addressed to their Supervisor and not to the Site Manager.
Tucked away in her office she knows nothing of the standards we are getting, their starting and finishing times (especially the Supervisor) and going on a fag break when they should be cleaning. She has never done a walkround to look for herself but seems to think that any failings will be picked up on at the audit.

However as the eyes on the ground I see everything.

If their Supervisor was employed in the role I originally had with the same work ethic it may be a different situation or if the BM was approachable likewise. Now some would say if it is no longer under my control "why bother" that isn't how I operate.

I have even considered approaching O***** directly but I would probably be reprimanded and at the end of the day we would still have to work alongside each other but it is very frustrating.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 14:15

You may not like it but if it's not for you to be involved in, don't be.

You've been told it's not your job. Leave it to sink.
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 11 14:28

Why do you need to clarify, not your issue or.

Do you want us to say go to BM tell them everything etc etc, your conscience is clear you have done everything you need to do? You still have to work alongside X? I thought they were contract, you losing a friend or just a work colleague?

You do nothing as stated above, my option TBH, but you need to make sure you have evidence you were told it was nothing to do with you, because when things go wrong bad managers can blame shift very well and get away with it!!!

If you feel you are far to professional to just let this go, walk into BM office, sorry its not that hard, you are big enough to make a decision, just make it.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 11 15:02

It is very odd for the BM to tell the site manager that the cleaning is nothing to do with them as you are the school's informed eyes and ears. Initially, I would email pictures to the BM of the state of areas over a week and your concerns about the hours lost. I would say that you will leave the areas untouched but continue to relay photos to the BM as it takes little time and provides a good "picture" of any failing standards. I would not spend my time cleaning where they have missed as it will be self-defeating for the school Let the rubbish and the complaints accumulate and point anyone in the direction of the BM. When questions are asked you have done your bit.

The contract is probably standards based so you can ignore continual monitoring of the cleaner hours as it is an issue for the cleaning contractor, Standards should be their concern and they should up their game, in terms of monitoring, if they see that the school is flagging repeated concerns.

If a new cleaning contractor is appointed the original cleaners may again go over through TUPE. If the school complains now there is a better chance that poor present behaviour will be tackled and that they change or get moved on.

Good luck.