It’s started

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 10:25

It’s started

On a normal day, I don’t normally see any teaching/office staff till around 7:30ish. Half a dozen or so this morning about 7:15. A shiver ran through me as I was doing my checks when I heard the mournful sound of George Micheal singing about a certain winter festival from 12 months ago along with rummagings in the back of the store cupboard as they looked for the boxes of shiny sparkly tat!! I am now officially grumpier than normal and dread to think what sights will greet me when I go back this afternoon
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 10:39

Re: It’s started

I feel your pain bro.
Still trying to get my mancave sorted and had to spend all day yesterday helping Mrs. trout make the house look like a snowman factory blew up in it.
I'm not missing the faff of the fire hazards going up.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 12:44

I remember the confused look of dread from a teacher when during a H&S audit walkaround the officer asked her if those paper chains hanging from the light fittings were fireproof?
Take them down I was ordered in front of the teacher… [Scared.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 14:35

I'm awaiting the dreaded call to "could you just assemble the tree please"

They say just but because the whole thing is in kit form (every single branch and 10 feet high it takes approx 4 hours to put up... [Angry.png]

Might accidentally lose it this year.. [Wink.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 14:41

I can honestly say i have nothing to do with decorating the school.

I just let them get on with it.

They put decs up, they take them down. if they dont, they are still around at new year.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 21 14:56

Eddy wrote: 21st Nov 2022 at 2:41pm

They put decs up, they take them down. if they dont, they are still around at new year.
This, why do you get so worked up about what "they" do, as long as you make everyone aware, that needs to know, you think its all a fire risk. Who cares, why let it even cross your radar?
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 15:04

Eddy wrote: 21st Nov 2022 at 2:41pm I can honestly say i have nothing to do with decorating the school.

Same here. And I don't get worked up about it as I suspect you don't? I just don't care!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 21 15:16

TheTakerofCare wrote: 21st Nov 2022 at 2:56pm This, why do you get so worked up about what "they" do, as long as you make everyone aware, that needs to know, you think its all a fire risk. Who cares, why let it even cross your radar?
The deal is here that I put up the tree and lights and the rest is down to them. To be fair the hall etc. are not the issue, its the myriad of "decorations" that are put up across the ceilings walls windows doors and any other place that can be found.
Strings at neck height, decorations on or across fire doors covering up the safety signs and call points all have to be pointed out by me by email then I become the "hitler" of the school or bah humbug.

Then there is the innumerate times I have to remind the staff that as they are rehearsing their "shows" that they cannot block the fire exits with benches and chairs either side of the stage.. [Mad.png]

Best of all are the hundreds of lights that appear (no PAT testing) and extension leads everywhere that suddenly it is my job to switch off at night.

That is just some of the reasons it crosses my radar, there are lots of others.
As a caretaker it is the worst time of year because of the above and the extra workload and out of hours events that occur.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 21 15:23

Vera wrote: 21st Nov 2022 at 3:16pm The deal is here that I put up the tree and lights and the rest is down to them. To be fair the hall etc. are not the issue, its the myriad of "decorations" that are put up across the ceilings walls windows doors and any other place that can be found.
Strings at neck height, decorations on or across fire doors covering up the safety signs and call points all have to be pointed out by me by email then I become the "hitler" of the school or bah humbug.

Then there is the innumerate times I have to remind the staff that as they are rehearsing their "shows" that they cannot block the fire exits with benches and chairs either side of the stage.. [Mad.png]

Best of all are the hundreds of lights that appear (no PAT testing) and extension leads everywhere that suddenly it is my job to switch off at night.

That is just some of the reasons it crosses my radar, there are lots of others.
As a caretaker it is the worst time of year because of the above and the extra workload and out of hours events that occur.
Then send out an email at the start of November/December, gently remind people about "their obligations" then press send and forget about it, you did your bit, if it goes wrong , it goes wrong. Deal with it then. If it doesn't then it doesn't why get stressed when something may not happen.
Why run around barking orders and instructions left right and centre, you cannot do every damn thing to stop them, why make yourself a heart attack victim for the sake of tinsel?
I do however pity you putting up the tree.
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 21 15:33

Also did not see the "you turn the lights out" bit, Again my sympathy.

I would take note, tell them their responsibility, next time, they are fair game for me.