School streets project

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Bruciebox
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 12:57

School streets project

Hi all .
The local council in my area are implementing a school street project next Feb and have asked if site manager will monitor the barrier they are installing .
This will be between 8:15 and 9am and 2:15-3pm approx .
This is a voluntary thing so I’m not obliged to do this .
I do feel the street project is a good idea , but my opinion on it is that the barrier should not be the responsibility of site manger as it’s on the public highway .
Thoughts appreciated
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 12:59

Re: School streets project

When we had it here we asked for it to be manned by volunteers from outside the school that they arranged. This meant that the occasional angry outburst from drivers was separated from the school to a degree.
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 22 12:59

Bruciebox wrote: 22nd Nov 2022 at 12:57pm
asked if site manager will monitor the barrier they are installing .
Nothing good will come of this. If you can have nothing to do with roads, parking and drop off and pick up.
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 13:27

I read on here or elsewhere that some unions have advised certain school staff not to get involved with this scheme
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 13:44

I would advise to have nothing to do with outside the gates bro.
Like it's been said, keep the school and these matters seperate.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Bruciebox
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 17:23

Thanks for all the advice guys I
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 14:20

Our school carpark gates went on the fritz once, we locked them open but it was especially windy and one would shift so I stood out there to make sure pedestrians didn't come through or if a car needed to I could hold the gate. There's 4 signs that say 'no pedestrians' and the pedestrian gates is about 5 metres to the side.
An older chap with a walking stick started to walk through.

Me : excuse me could you use the pedestrian gates please, these gates aren't safe
Chap: I'm disabled
Me : This isn't a disabled entrance, it's a car park with faulty gates, you can't come in here.
Chap : You can't expect me to walk around there (points 5 metres away)
Me : I can because you do every other day, I've seen you here hundreds of times.
Chap : I'll be reporting you to your head and anyone else I can. I'm disabled. Outrageous!

The moral of this story is don't go out on the street. It's chaos out there. Dog eat dog. They couldn't pay me enough to deal with that sort of thing.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 23 18:25

AlboUnderhill wrote: 23rd Nov 2022 at 2:20pm Our school carpark gates went on the fritz once, we locked them open but it was especially windy and one would shift so I stood out there to make sure pedestrians didn't come through or if a car needed to I could hold the gate. There's 4 signs that say 'no pedestrians' and the pedestrian gates is about 5 metres to the side.
An older chap with a walking stick started to walk through.

Me : excuse me could you use the pedestrian gates please, these gates aren't safe
Chap: I'm disabled
Me : This isn't a disabled entrance, it's a car park with faulty gates, you can't come in here.
Chap : You can't expect me to walk around there (points 5 metres away)
Me : I can because you do every other day, I've seen you here hundreds of times.
Chap : I'll be reporting you to your head and anyone else I can. I'm disabled. Outrageous!

The moral of this story is don't go out on the street. It's chaos out there. Dog eat dog. They couldn't pay me enough to deal with that sort of thing.
It is sad how some disabled people think that a disability gives them the right to do what they want regardless of if it is breaking safeguarding rules or not.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)