PTA Events

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 09:45

PTA Events

The PTA held there --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- Fair this weekend and as this was my first one at my new school I was keen to come along, show support but also sneakily observe the procedure and how they go about adhereing to safety standards etc.

On the whole it was ok but there were one or two things that needs addressing as the issues were serious potential h and s breaches.

Im keen to hear from anyone in a similar situation and how you have dealt with situations like this. I already know i have to report what i have seen to the powers above (which ive done) but i dont think they will tackle the issue directly. Beside as i am Premises Manager I still feel it is my job to try and help resolve any issues moving forward.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 28 09:53

Re: PTA Events

Gazza wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 9:45am I was keen to come along, show support but also sneakily observe the procedure and how they go about adhereing to safety standards etc.

On the whole it was ok but there were one or two things that needs addressing as the issues were serious potential h and s breaches.
Really? Did anyone die? What would have happened if you didn’t go?

Sorry but you need to get out more, you went to spy and they either were or weren’t H&S issues, potential is debatable. You will be seriously Ill looking for everything you can when you don’t need to.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 13:00

i have been to PTA events just to double check the risk assessment was ok and it was. Free cuppa and a cake, and I deliver some big bins and bin bags to them for clear up. win win all round.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 13:38

TheTakerofCare wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 9:53am Really? Did anyone die? What would have happened if you didn’t go?

Sorry but you need to get out more, you went to spy and they either were or weren’t H&S issues, potential is debatable. You will be seriously Ill looking for everything you can when you don’t need to.
Really?! Why is it so important to you to pick faults in other peoples posts? Seems to be a habit. Guess you don’t speak to other staff members like that or you’d be looking at accusations of bullying
seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 13:46

I did this. Overloading of sockets and tripping out the restaurant of the premises was a big one, and trailing cables are often issues.
One occsaion relayed to me was the over consumption of alcohol and a puch up over who was sleeping with whos wife etc.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 14:02

TheTakerofCare wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 9:53am Really? Did anyone die? What would have happened if you didn’t go?

hahaha you make it sound as though that was my sole aim and intention to 'spy'. it was to simply go, show support and help out but i took the oppertunity to observe the way things go...
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 28 14:08

greenjack wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 1:38pm Really?! Why is it so important to you to pick faults in other peoples posts? Seems to be a habit. Guess you don’t speak to other staff members like that or you’d be looking at accusations of bullying
A fair observation, but not quite true!

My comments are aimed at what I see sometimes as people putting themselves in situations that can easily be avoided, why nit pick with things like string etc, people getting stressed because a window was left open, these things happen and will happen long after we are gone, move on with YOUR life, why bother going to an event, when the only reason to go is to snoop on what they are doing. PTA happen, yes they don't think, talk to them before as you give them stuff, as said bin bags etc, they then think you are looking out for them, not going telling tales, if I did that PTA or charity would think I'm some dictator who now is at loggerheads, not worth it.

People are sometimes to fixated on things and miss stuff left right and centre, why worry or brood on it you are not paid enough is the old mantra.

I comment on peoples posts, these comments are always retrospect, because the deed is done, and its then them complaining about something that either they have instigated or someone else has done. My answer to all if you see has always been the same thread, its not worth your blood pressure!

What you see as fault picking, is me trying to give the extreme counter, something I have been almost conditioned to give in my previous careers, and I don't like people being made to do things, 1. They shouldn't do. 2. Things they have been forced to do. 3. Things that they are doing because they are too pliable not to do it.
TheTakerofCare
Nov 2022 28 14:12

Gazza wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 2:02pm hahaha you make it sound as though that was my sole aim and intention to 'spy'. it was to simply go, show support and help out but i took the oppertunity to observe the way things go...
Sneakily observe= spy,

But good point you went just to look, keep it at that, don't go all guns blazing, if someone blocks a fire escape, i tell them as jokingly as possible, they will burn first. That does a job well enough. Always keep people on side, in this job you need it.

Most of all if you get stressed by their plugs, tables etc, simple don't go, go Tesco instead.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 14:16

TheTakerofCare wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 2:08pm A fair observation, but not quite true!

My comments are aimed at what I see sometimes as people putting themselves in situations that can easily be avoided, why nit pick with things like string etc, people getting stressed because a window was left open, these things happen and will happen long after we are gone, move on with YOUR life, why bother going to an event, when the only reason to go is to snoop on what they are doing. PTA happen, yes they don't think, talk to them before as you give them stuff, as said bin bags etc, they then think you are looking out for them, not going telling tales, if I did that PTA or charity would think I'm some dictator who now is at loggerheads, not worth it.

People are sometimes to fixated on things and miss stuff left right and centre, why worry or brood on it you are not paid enough is the old mantra.

I comment on peoples posts, these comments are always retrospect, because the deed is done, and its then them complaining about something that either they have instigated or someone else has done. My answer to all if you see has always been the same thread, its not worth your blood pressure!

What you see as fault picking, is me trying to give the extreme counter, something I have been almost conditioned to give in my previous careers, and I don't like people being made to do things, 1. They shouldn't do. 2. Things they have been forced to do. 3. Things that they are doing because they are too pliable not to do it.
What i observed was more than the odd window being left open

- fire exits blocked with stacked tables and chairs
- training cables in walkways
- decorations being hung from above false ceilings where ACMs are present
- electrical equipment damaged to the point it would fail any PAT test being used and un supervised
- nuts being prepped in a nut free kitchen

my intention wasnt to go looking for these things it was to help out and show support, i just happened to notice them in my capacity as a guest. now surely i wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt act on these things regardless as to how i came across the information. My post was simply to ascertain if people have been put in the same isituation and how they dealt with the burden of knowledge.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 28 14:28

Gazza wrote: 28th Nov 2022 at 9:45am The PTA held there ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---- Fair this weekend and as this was my first one at my new school I was keen to come along, show support but also sneakily observe the procedure and how they go about adhereing to safety standards etc.

Im keen to hear from anyone in a similar situation and how you have dealt with situations like this. I already know i have to report what i have seen to the powers above (which ive done) but i dont think they will tackle the issue directly. Beside as i am Premises Manager I still feel it is my job to try and help resolve any issues moving forward.
Email your concerns to the chair of the PTA and copy to the head if you feel the issues are serious enough.
Give resolutions as to how these issues can be avoided in the future.
The PTA (in my experience) are doing their best to make these things happen, I try not to put too many barriers in their way.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!