Plumbers

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Caretaker980
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 19:34

Plumbers

Hi all, I have a unvented hot water tank in a small block which is heated by x2 immersion heaters ( heat Rae)

Cut a long story short they are both shot. Rang the plumber today and he quoted me £400 for the replacements. I found the exact same thing online for £34 each!!!

What’s your thoughts?
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 01 20:51

Re: Plumbers

Does the £400 include fitting the 2 immersion heater elements? If so, that doesn't sound too bad. Not knowing what size they are.

But £34 does sound a bit too cheap, are they Heat Rae replacement elements or a different make?

Had you thoughts of replacing the elements yourself?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 20:59

Not knowing the tank size, and that it’s 2 immersions £400 also sounds quite reasonable. Of course he’s putting his mark up on any party’s used, time, labour, travel etc etc and the fact he’s qualified to work on unvented (many general plumbers aren’t).
Get a second quote if your not sure but your more than likely be looking at the same again.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 09:01

Sparky has nailed it- Sounds reasonable all things considered but get a second quote if ur still unsure
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]