My eventful first week

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 10:44

My eventful first week

My first week in a nutshell, first few days have been great, everyone has been so welcoming and I've slotted right in, feels a bit like I've worked there for years and I'm loving it.
Last site manager was apparently very secretive and so I'm struggling finding all the things I need to get on top of.
Think he took a lot of the paperwork with him as it's nowhere in my office or the strong room.
Found the legionella stuff which he literally tested once in about 2 years of being there, done all my tests and had to condemn two sinks as the cold drinking water is coming out at 25Β°c since he turned off the hot taps.. god knows what he's done there, apparently he was a plumber before. πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ So anyway I need to get someone out to look at that.
Got the --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- tree up on the 1st Dec and was going to put the rest of the fairy lights up Friday evening but then the toilets flooded so got the drain guys out to find that when the toilets were fitted 18 months ago they've laid the pipes flat so they've fully crystallised inside and when they've tried to flush it out, instead of it flushing into the drain and sewer it's exploded through the last toilet so spent Friday evening mopping πŸ’© off the ceiling and walls πŸ™ˆ
Talk about easing me in gently πŸ˜‚
So Monday we need to arrange for toilets and drains to be ripped out and fitted again plus need to get the compliance guys out over the taps running warm.
Any advice would be appreciated as I haven't got a clue regarding the legionella stuff.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Dec 2022 04 10:51

Re: My eventful first week

An exciting & expensive baptism of fire
Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 10:57

Drone wrote: ↑4th Dec 2022 at 10:51am An exciting & expensive baptism of fire
Yes, the head laughed when I passed on the quote for them to fix the problem.. πŸ™ˆ
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 11:04

If you are expected to be undertaking the legionella testing you should have the training. It’s no big deal and the school should organise/ pay for it asap.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 11:06

Yep caretaking is a glamours life, wait until you have to put a black sack over your hand and arm and go down the WC pan after a blockage, bit like a vet up a cow's rear end, not even nice when you have to throw a bucket of hot water down it to try and clear it either as you really have to move fast [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_shocked]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 11:17

greenjack wrote: ↑4th Dec 2022 at 11:04am If you are expected to be undertaking the legionella testing you should have the training. It’s no big deal and the school should organise/ pay for it asap.
I didn't realise that, I will ask the head on Monday to put me forward for it. It would make sense as I'm currently trying to learn from the folder I was left and a small file of health and safety stuff I've not even managed to look through yet.
Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 11:18

EBJ wrote: ↑4th Dec 2022 at 11:06am Yep caretaking is a glamours life, wait until you have to put a black sack over your hand and arm and go down the WC pan after a blockage, bit like a vet up a cow's rear end, not even nice when you have to throw a bucket of hot water down it to try and clear it either as you really have to move fast [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_shocked]
πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆ Can't wait πŸ’©πŸ’
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2022 04 11:26

Sounds like you are fitting in, well done [Thumb_up.png] It will be an up-hill battle at first but that is the nature of the job, once you get into a routine things will all fall into place. As mentioned above you need training for the legionella compliance testing, it can also be a bit daunting at first but once you are up to speed with it, you’ll be ok.
Good luck [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 13:18

Seems to me that you are handling yourself extremely wellπŸ‘. Training is vital for Legionella and lots of other H&S stuff. If you are an LA school, call up the H&S dept and ask for a visit, they will talk you through everything, otherwise look in the guides section of this site for all the info that you will need
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 04 16:06

Welcome to the site and welcome to our world.
The only other advice I can give besides the other words of wisdom is to keep records of your things.
viewtopic.php?t=39036
Also, as this is the season be careful.
viewtopic.php?t=39039
There is a load of help, advice and just plain crazyness here so again, Welcome to the best site on the info net.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)