Tyre safety

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 12:43

Re: Tyre safety

both my schools have them, some always left in one playground, the other lot on the school field, no r/a's done here.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 13:22

We had around 6 old tyres in the playground of the early years centre, I checked for any inner steel bands protruding through the tread but other than that no RA carried out. I periodically would check them again over the years and jet washed them a few times, I believe they are still there?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 14:22

Had the same here.
Are they part of a PE equiptment kit?

Just checked them for any dodgy bits, then handed them to the teacher that "ordered" them.
They are now responsible for their upkeep.

A point to note, they cost a small fortune to dispose of properly when the time comes. ( that's why companies are so keen to donate them!)
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 14:41

We only ever did have one a massive tractor tyre they used to advertise events at the school, they painted the evet info on it and rolled it to the top of the road where it was left on display and the rolled back to the school, in all my years there it was never used and left behind the garage, then a big skip was ordered to clear the garage out and the school got permission to put it on top of the skip of rubbish, took some lifting up as they do weigh a bit. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Durham1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 14:56

Same here, we have an OPAL team of teachers so I leave it up to them.
I used to work in a tyre factory back in the 80's and was on the truck section for a while, where we had to stack the tyres 8 high without any hoists or lifting gear - no wonder I have hernias'. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_cry]
“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.” – Franklin D Roosevelt.
Red
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 15:35

We have a few in the nursery play area. The big concern is how to get rid of them when they are no longer needed. You can't just throw them in the bins and many skip companies will not take them. A tyre shop might take them if they friendly enough!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 16:31

The trick is to sort before you have them collected or delivered.

All should have reasonable tread depth *any bald patches them dont take them as the stell belts will soon come through) and no interior damage.

Those tyres should last a good 5 years of play if not more they are difficult to dispose of but you could speak to the garage where you are getting them from to see if (for a fee the school would pay) you could return any end-of-life tyres to them for disposal.

Store them more than 5M away from buildings.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]