Trapped at home

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2022 12 04:34

Trapped at home

It's just like during the pandemic, 2 days now and I'm trapped at home.

Nobody is able to drive up our road due to ice which froze the previous night, followed with a layer of snow which fell at teatime yesterday, followed by a shower of rain which instantly froze when it hit the cold snow.

We watched a car struggle last night for an hour get past our house but they had to give up in the end despite several people with shovels trying to help push it up the road.

1111.jpg
2222.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 12 09:40

Re: Trapped at home

Needs a caretaker with a grit bin... [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 12 12:56

Vera wrote: 12th Dec 2022 at 9:40am Needs a caretaker with a grit bin... [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]
Yeah. Many a bag of grit was borrowed for a bit of home use [Big grin.png]

I used to clear the road to ensure I got out for an early start. I occasionally got a bit of help from the neighbours. Now at my age, I prefer to stay in the warm and look out at the silly beggars who don't have a clue how to drive on snow and ice. One burnt out clutch observed this morning, smoke pouring out from under the bonnet.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 12 13:10

There’s a bit of a hill in the estate next to where I live, I heard someone earlier revving the guts out of their poor car, could also hear the noise of the slipping tyres. Not sure if they managed to get out?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 12 18:49

Keyolder wrote: 12th Dec 2022 at 1:10pm There’s a bit of a hill in the estate next to where I live, I heard someone earlier revving the guts out of their poor car, could also hear the noise of the slipping tyres. Not sure if they managed to get out?
My Dad took ill and I had to rush him to hospital. It is horrendous out there. I thought it was bad in my area, but higher up on the Ridge, it was almost a foot or more deep. The main roads generally were passable, but move off of the main road and it was a skating rink. However, I am amazed at how well my EV handled in the snow. It must be the extra weight and smooth acceleration it felt really safe and solid.

As for my Dad, he is back home and is OK-ish. He has signed consent forms to have an urgent major operation (6-8 weeks wait). A bit worrying at 92 years of age.

Glad to be back home in the warm [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_wink]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 13 08:36

thecaretaker wrote: 12th Dec 2022 at 6:49pm My Dad took ill and I had to rush him to hospital. It is horrendous out there. I thought it was bad in my area, but higher up on the Ridge, it was almost a foot or more deep. The main roads generally were passable, but move off of the main road and it was a skating rink. However, I am amazed at how well my EV handled in the snow. It must be the extra weight and smooth acceleration it felt really safe and solid.

As for my Dad, he is back home and is OK-ish. He has signed consent forms to have an urgent major operation (6-8 weeks wait). A bit worrying at 92 years of age.

Glad to be back home in the warm [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_wink]
Fingers crossed for your Father CT. I hope all goes well.

I decided to ride into work this morning as the roads looked ok ish on the estate. What a mistake that was, There were patches where obviously the sun did not reach and there were icy ruts and polished sheet ice. Had to get off and walk which in cycling shoes on ice is not so easy.
Would probably have been quicker to walk in sensible boots.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Dec 2022 13 08:52

Only the main roads have been gritted around here
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 13 10:02

It's funny how location plays a big part in the weather. We have a micro climate where I am. Without giving away my location, we are surrounded by hills except from the seaside. Whilst everywhere around has significant snow, we had rain with some flakes in it. Nothing settled so Monday morning the staff that had to travel in from local towns as near as 9 miles away came from inches of snow to a completely clear town. Yes we had the ice on the roads but is was negligible compared to all of the local reports. I had mentioned on another post that a few handfuls of grit is my daily chore.
Interestingly, today we have set off our annual rockets, water filled plastic bottles pumped up by a hand pump and an electronic pump (person vs machine). The water that ended up on the playground froze instantly, therefore we stopped for a few minutes to grit the area, then carried on. The ground temperature is definitely below freezing.
I hope others aren't struggling with the weather too much and help and a hot drink are giving to ease the pain. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus] [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Dec 2022 13 11:22

Vera wrote: 13th Dec 2022 at 8:36am Fingers crossed for your Father CT. I hope all goes well.

I decided to ride into work this morning as the roads looked ok ish on the estate. What a mistake that was, There were patches where obviously the sun did not reach and there were icy ruts and polished sheet ice. Had to get off and walk which in cycling shoes on ice is not so easy.
Would probably have been quicker to walk in sensible boots.
I feel your pain, when I was younger I cycled over to Mum`s (40 miles) on --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- morning in horrendous conditions, cycled 4 miles, walked 2 on lumpy ice, cycled the rest.
Avoid ice whilst cycling now as it hurts when you fall off! too many broken bones, don`t need anymore [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 13 11:39

Sorry to hear about your father CT and hope he makes a speedy recovery, as a lot of you old members know i live in Lincolnshire just outside of Skegness as a now retired caretaker and so far here it has just been frosty no snow at all, well we do live on the sunnier side of the UK.

There are an awful lot of young motorists who have no idea how to handle driving in the snow let alone maintain the cars correctly as looks of a car are more important than preventive maintenance, the wrong tyres can make a lot of difference not just in braking but handling in adverse weather that we are experiencing at the moment.

I do not suppose that a good majority have checked the anti freeze for their cars or washer bottles for the wipers, and i have seen at least 3 drivers just driving with a small scrapped portion of the windscreen to peer through which is highly dangerous way to drive and totally illegal. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_snowball]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)