Windscreen de ice

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 16:26

Windscreen de ice

Just wondering how you de ice your windscreens in this adverse weather, i have a cover that goes over the windscreen but the rest of the estate windows ice up. And for this i do not use a spray de-icer as they are useless and it takes ages with a plastic scraper so i now fill a zip freezer bag (very apt) which i fill with not too hot water and then just gently pull it across the windows and the ice melts away, i also have a hot water bottle i place on the dash board to heat up the windscreen while i go back in for another cuppa and after a while i remove it to the seat so once i am ready to go i have a nice warm seat to sit on, what's your method any good tips. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Red
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 16:47

Re: Windscreen de ice

When I had a work van, I used to use warm water from a bottle. It was the quickest and easiest way for me. Never had a screen crack in the 20 odd years I was doing it!

I now have an electric car so just set it to defrost 10 minutes before leaving.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 16 17:21

Same as Red, I just use the app.

I turn on the climate control in the app and by the time I get out to the car, all the windows are clear and the car is nice and toasty.

Screenshot_20221216_171431_Kia Connect.png

Actually, the most handy thing in the app is the lock function. When on holiday in the new forest, we visited Exbury Gardens. Half way round I couldn't remember if I had locked the car. Normally, I'd have to walk all the way back to the car to check. But having the option to lock the car from anywhere is a godsend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 17:30

When I used my camper for getting to work I used to setup an electric heater and extension lead the night before.
Then before breakfast I would nip out and plug in the extension to the outside socket, by the time I was ready to go the camper was de frosted and toasty warm.

It worked so well If i was still driving to work I would put in a more permanent solution that could be switched on without going outside in the morning.
There's not much call for heating my pushbike... [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]

In Canada they have built in heaters and pumps with a connector on the grill that can be plugged in overnight and keeps the car from freezing up and because it circulates hot water around the engine it keeps oil and rubber components in their operating window (Cam belts are particularly fragile in cold weather). there are outlet sockets at shopping malls, offices and hotels next to each parking space.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 17:45

Hate to admit it but I also use an app to pre-condition the cabin and clear the windows, the heated seats and steering wheel are the icing on the proverbial --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- cake [Scared.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 17 01:28

Vera wrote: 16th Dec 2022 at 5:30pm When I used my camper for getting to work I used to setup an electric heater and extension lead the night before.
Then before breakfast I would nip out and plug in the extension to the outside socket, by the time I was ready to go the camper was de frosted and toasty warm.

It worked so well If i was still driving to work I would put in a more permanent solution that could be switched on without going outside in the morning.
There's not much call for heating my pushbike... [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]

In Canada they have built in heaters and pumps with a connector on the grill that can be plugged in overnight and keeps the car from freezing up and because it circulates hot water around the engine it keeps oil and rubber components in their operating window (Cam belts are particularly fragile in cold weather). there are outlet sockets at shopping malls, offices and hotels next to each parking space.
They had a sinilar set-up when I was at Ft. Wainright in Alaska in my Army days.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)