Sky could be cutting some of its channels

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 19 06:09

Sky could be cutting some of its channels

It seems with dwindling subscribers, a downturn in advertising revenue and facing competition from other major streaming services, Sky may have to cut back on some of its channels. Sky sold its 40% stake in Nickelodeon in October to Paramount and is having to make children's programmes itself. Sky previously relied on buying in shows like the Simpsons and Game of Thrones, but they are now part of rival media companies so Sky has been forced to invest in making its own programmes. Sky also face stiffer competition for sports content.

With less channels to offer and higher prices, even more people may leave Sky in the current economic climate.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/sky-cost-cutt ... e-channels

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 19 07:32

Re: Sky could be cutting some of its channels

I think SKY has been knocking on deaths door for a little while now. I've never understood the appeal once smart tv's were a regular thing. A few years back we went around my wife's mates house and her husband spent over £100 a month on a sky package, we ate and had a drink then decided to watch a film and we literally couldn't find anything worth watching so we logged in to our netflix account at theres and watched something.

We currently have netflix, Disney plus and we'll pick up a prime account over the couple months leading to --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- just for shipping reasons and our entertainment needs are met. We don't pay TV licence either as we don't use live or live streaming TV (we've had the TV licence people out and give us the begrudging nod of approval about it too [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin])

I will say I'm not a big sports fan and I'm pretty sure that's were most of the big money is spent there.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2022 19 09:36

After about 5 minutes of research, I knocked sky on the head and got NOW TV. as all the channels we were watching were on that. Heck of a lot cheaper.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2022 19 10:58

I`m going to ditch sky when my contract ends early next year.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 19 11:01

I gave up Sky when our new Sky HD set top box went up in smoke. Sky wanted me to pay for a new one.

Since then, I've been satisfied with an Enigma II satellite box (VU+ Ultimo4K) which gives me access to all the free to air channels (250+) and my TV has Freeview Play apps & I pay for a Britbox subscription. The VU+ box runs OpenVIX software and is rock solid. It lets me watch channels that aren't on Freesat but are free to view. Sky never let on that 70% of their satellite channels are available free to view, so when you look at the remainder of the Sky channels, they work out extremely expensive.

I convinced my parents to go Freesat when I found they were paying £85 a month to Sky and only ever watched the 4 main channels (BBC1,2, Itv1 and Channel 4). Occasionally they would watch BBC Four, but they never ever turned to any of the Sky only channels. They never watched any sports or movie channels.

These are the channels I can view for free:

1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 19 11:08

This may be the final nail in the Sky coffin for me as well, not sure when my contract comes up for renewal but will probably ditch them eventually. Cable seems to be the way to go now, when we had heavy snow a few days ago 95% of the Sky channels were unavailable because of snow on the dish/LNB.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 19 21:14

thecaretaker wrote: 19th Dec 2022 at 6:09amSky may have to cut back on some of its channels.
Nothing new there, they often cut channels, usualy just after a price hike!!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.