Council tax

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 28 07:12

Re: Council tax

Martin wrote: 27th Dec 2022 at 11:42pm Hi all

Just a random question, the caretakers house is tied to my job and is essential as you will know for alarm activations etc, I have been doing it for 4 years now and have been paying council tax on the property but have heard that it should be tied into the schools council tax and because it is tied with the job I shouldn't be paying it.
Has anyone had similar experience or know about this?
I always paid council tax in the three houses I lived in these were in Kent, sussex and Surrey along with other bills except water.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Dec 2022 28 09:15

Never heard of this, would be brilliant if true. I have always had to pay council tax while living in the tied accommodation. If anything they have tried to overcharge me, they dropped it in the end, but attempted to make me pay council tax for the period between my predecessor moving out and me moving in.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2022 28 12:07

Back in 2012 when single status reared its ugly head, our LEA decided in their infinite wisdom that all caretakers living in tied accomodation must start paying rent, council tax and all other utility bills. Prior to this it was considered as perks of the job to balance the low hourly pay rate and 24/7 on call security requirement of the job.

We were offered a small pay rise plus had to sign a new contract of employment or else employment would be terminated. The pay rise was as you can imagine a massive pay cut given the forced new tenancy agreement and subsequent financial outlay involved. Many senior caretakers threw in the towel and left which is probably what the LEA wanted in the first place. The following year overtime payment ceased and time off in lieu was brought in, tied accomodation was also phased out of the job description.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2022 28 13:42

Keyolder wrote: 28th Dec 2022 at 12:07pm Back in 2012 when single status reared its ugly head, our LEA decided in their infinite wisdom that all caretakers living in tied accomodation must start paying rent, council tax and all other utility bills. Prior to this it was considered as perks of the job to balance the low hourly pay rate and 24/7 on call security requirement of the job.

We were offered a small pay rise plus had to sign a new contract of employment or else employment would be terminated. The pay rise was as you can imagine a massive pay cut given the forced new tenancy agreement and subsequent financial outlay involved. Many senior caretakers threw in the towel and left which is probably what the LEA wanted in the first place. The following year overtime payment ceased and time off in lieu was brought in, tied accomodation was also phased out of the job description.
This is so true. Single status (which was agreed by the unions 🤬🤬🤬) ruined the job for a lot of caretakers. Those things that used to be free, especially rent, because of the needs of the job made it a worthwhile job to do but after single status the job lost its best features. The argument was that as a caretaker had a free house there was nothing to stop any other school worker asking for one as well, completely ridiculous i know but there you go. So now council tax, rent etc is usually part of the job unfortunately
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Dec 2022 29 14:40

Martin wrote: 27th Dec 2022 at 11:42pm Hi all

Just a random question, the caretakers house is tied to my job and is essential as you will know for alarm activations etc, I have been doing it for 4 years now and have been paying council tax on the property but have heard that it should be tied into the schools council tax and because it is tied with the job I shouldn't be paying it.
Has anyone had similar experience or know about this?
I’m pretty sure schools don’t pay council tax.. they will come under business rates which is different.
If you are residential, and the house being on the school site you will still be expected to pay Council tax separately on that property.
In essence you could also say the same for water, gas, electrical etc but generally these will also be the responsibility of the tenant and not the school.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Dec 2022 29 20:46

Martin wrote: 29th Dec 2022 at 3:13pm Hi

Thanks all for the responses I would of thought that with the property being on school owned land and if you see attached the picture from the government website that you need the house to be able to perform your job better, I.e alarm call outs, and when you get called in your break when things go wrong as they always seem to,
You are right with your post and attachment, but no where does it talk about council tax…

What it does say is that you “the occupant of a residential property as a school caretaker” are NOT subject to additional tax ie above the standard 20% taken from your wage now.

It’s the same deal when people used to be given a company car “to perform their job better” it was also NOT subject to additional tax. This changes a few years back so now a company car IS taxable - no longer such a perk…

Hope this helps.