What is the point of GPs

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2023 02 23:10

What is the point of GPs

My son fell ill over the holidays, he fainted twice and was sick. The following day, he didn't feel much better, so he called the GP Surgery for advice. He was told he would get a call from the GP later in the day. Late afternoon the GP called. His response was you had better go to A&E.

When he got to A&E they questioned why he hadn't been to see his GP as it wasn't an emergency. He said he had spoken to his GP and was told to go to A&E.

As if the A&E department isn't busy enough... Why the hell are GPs sending none emergency cases to A&E. I'm beginning to wonder what the hell GPs do these days. They don't have face to face appointments with patients, they don't do home visits anymore.

The system is so broken [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 03 12:25

Re: What is the point of GPs

Sorry to hear your son is unwell CT and hope he makes a speedy full recovery, as for the NHS i am afraid it is now dead in the water and cannot see it getting any better any time soon and as for GP's a lot of people are just fobbed off to hospital when a GP could have seen a patient first and only then once seen if the GP feels an A & E visit is a must should he recommend that option as a last result. [Shock.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
TheTakerofCare
Jan 2023 03 12:40

thecaretaker wrote: 2nd Jan 2023 at 11:10pm

The system is so broken [Angry.png]
Sorry, not being rude, but ask yourself, who did you vote for?

And yes, before you think about asking it! The answer is yes it is politics that trumps all.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 03 12:46

I’ve not seen my doctor in years, I only ever see the nurse in attendance for my annual mot. They encourage using the app or web access for everything now, ringing the surgery results mostly in a huge phone queue and I've been cut off twice doing that?

I remember a friend of mine whose wife was an NHS staff nurse before retiring told me their family have always had private health care. Nice if you can afford it, I suppose…

Speedy recovery for your son CT.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Jan 2023 03 13:19

Hope your son makes a good recovery CT.
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 03 13:54

Hi CT i hope you son gets better soon i have had a similar problem recently with my gp. Started over a year ago with problem in my leg making me wee all the time. a year later after not seeing a gp but multiple repeat prescriptions finally saw the nurse when i was leaving one day she asked how i was and i explained she told me the two senior gps refuse to see anyone in person. I ranted a bit as did she anyway she got me an appointment with a physio he upped it to emergency a and e to consultant now waiting for emergency mri as looks like i have tumours on my spine. Cant do it simply as have a icd installed so need a cardio mri which is a bit harder to get into. now gp wants to knom me funny that i told him to go away in jerky movements.
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2023 03 14:06

That's what happens when GPs / NHS is undercut at every turn by it's own government and sold off to the lowest bidder.

Personally have had no issue with my practice, they have been good about an online triage system that does well to sift out minor things that realistically is NOT for a GP but a practice nurse.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 03 14:40

Hope your son recovers well CT. I personally haven't had any problems but I haven't really needed them either so i suppose I will find out what they are like when i do need them
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jan 2023 03 21:07

I may be very lucky.
My experience over the last couple of years has been the polar opposite.

Had a bit of drama and saw the GP same day. Several same day phone calls and got the help I needed.

However they’ve joined a new amalgamated group, and the phone system is now a bit pants.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 04 07:07

Very lucky up here even during covid our doctors run an excellent service my son was diagnosed with a liver problem during it and had no problems seeing them, also seeing the nhs dentist is no problem.