New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 01 15:39

Re: Newbie

SAFEGUARDING SAFEGUARDING SAFEGUARDING....

it will inevitably come up but to what extent i dont know. brush up on your knowledge beforehand This is a huge document so dont try reading the lot, but familiarise yourself with it (definitely part1)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... n_2022.pdf

a good knowledge of H and S aspects wouldnt go a miss- fire safety, Working safely... things that seem common sensical but sometimes are not.

i dare say you will be given a task list to prioritise as a practical test and give your reasoning behind them.
Although some may have their own opinions on this, focus on making safe any scenario where kids are in real danger or harm. Dont necisarilly fix them right away but make them safe.

for example

broken glass on the playground
a burst pipe,
a delivery driver waiting impatiently wanting to drop his load
broken wobbly paving slab
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 01 17:49

Welcome aboard. Take a look in our guides section: viewforum.php?f=44

There is a guide of questions you might be asked during the interview. It might give you some ideas even though they are for questions they will ask: viewtopic.php?t=39014

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 01 18:19

Welcome [Waving.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 01 20:55

Welcome aboard [Thumb_up.png] all good suggestions above [Like.png]
When I visited one of the three schools I was shortlisted for, granted it was a very long time ago now [Shock.png] I had an informal walk around with the Deputy Head, during the walk I was asked about my previous caretaker roles and the reasons why I was applying for the job. I of course answered his questions and asked about the current caretaker, and why the post was becoming vacant. The caretaker had moved on to a different school I was told, they currently had a temporary caretaker covering the job. On the way back to the headteachers office I questioned the placement of some small round tables with chairs I noticed that were placed in an infant corridor that would obviously be used as a fire route leading to a clearly marked fire exit. I didn’t mention anything about it being a fire route though, oh they are for quiet reading I was told.

I was introduced to the headteacher and questioned again about my job history, it was all very pleasant and informal and only lasted a few minutes. I was shown out by the deputy head who shook my hand and wished me luck with the interview. I casually mentioned the tables and chairs being placed in that corridor leading to a fire exit, adding that fire exit routes should be kept clear of obstructions.

Around a month later I arrived for my interview along with 4 other candidates and noticed the round tables and chairs in that infant corridor were no longer there.

Oh, and I got the job btw.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 02 02:41

Welcome aboard bro.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 02 08:00

For a pre interview walk around try to be informal and gather as much info about the people you will be working with.
Just generally try to get as much information about the school as you can.

The more pointed questions can wait for the interview.

Oh and look for litter and casually scoop it up and pop it in the nearest bin without saying a word.
Good luck
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 02 09:49

Keyolder wrote: 1st Feb 2023 at 8:55pm Welcome aboard [Thumb_up.png] all good suggestions above [Like.png]
When I visited one of the three schools I was shortlisted for, granted it was a very long time ago now [Shock.png] I had an informal walk around with the Deputy Head, during the walk I was asked about my previous caretaker roles and the reasons why I was applying for the job. I of course answered his questions and asked about the current caretaker, and why the post was becoming vacant. The caretaker had moved on to a different school I was told, they currently had a temporary caretaker covering the job. On the way back to the headteachers office I questioned the placement of some small round tables with chairs I noticed that were placed in an infant corridor that would obviously be used as a fire route leading to a clearly marked fire exit. I didn’t mention anything about it being a fire route though, oh they are for quiet reading I was told.

I was introduced to the headteacher and questioned again about my job history, it was all very pleasant and informal and only lasted a few minutes. I was shown out by the deputy head who shook my hand and wished me luck with the interview. I casually mentioned the tables and chairs being placed in that corridor leading to a fire exit, adding that fire exit routes should be kept clear of obstructions.

Around a month later I arrived for my interview along with 4 other candidates and noticed the round tables and chairs in that infant corridor were no longer there.

Oh, and I got the job btw.
The previous is pretty similar to what I did. I have met my Wife's Site Manager and so I spent a morning with him in preparation for my interview. He pointed out the fire testing he did and covered legionella and give me an idea of what the role entailed.

On the morning of the interview I casually told the head I was familiar with legionella and ultimately the safety of the children was paramount. Then during the walk round I pointed out some trip hazards, subtlety I may add.

I must have done something right as I enter my 5th year in the job.

Good luck. [Thumb_up.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Tools
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 17 20:14

Read up on safeguarding questions they come up a lot. Read up on compliance testing , health and safety, COSHH oh and more safeguarding. Sat in on an interview recently and lot of these type of questions were asked some of the questions are common sense teamwork and being proactive and of course keeping the school safe and well maintained for the children. Some keywords they were looking for. All the best in the interview been a caretaker for 27 years so if it's the right school it will be demanding but it's a great job!
Wish I could understand Headteachers!
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 17 21:23

Welcome to the site mate
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.