BP reduced its prices (a bit)

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 06 17:29

BP reduced its prices (a bit)

Had an email.

Enjoy new lower prices on our Ultra-fast charging points

Dear Paul

We have good news for you. From 1st February we have cut prices for Ultra-fast charging across the bp pulse network.

We can give you these new lower prices thanks to the Government’s Energy Bill Relief Scheme (EBRS), which was launched to support businesses through the energy crisis.​

The scheme requires us to pass-through a fair and reasonable amount of any benefit obtained to our customers. If you need further information about the scheme and your entitlements, click here.

All DC charging is 69p for contactless payment and as low as 55p for bp pulse members. That’s a 10p reduction on our previous 150kW+ prices, helping to keep you on the road for less. ​

The cost we pay for electricity and the discount we get from the EBRS can change each month and varies across different contracts. So, since EBRS was introduced, we have continuously compared the costs we pay and the prices we charge to ensure our customers benefit from the scheme. It’s as a result of that review we are now able to pass EBRS savings on to you.​

Costs & prices will continue to fluctuate in future, but you can rest assured we’ll always monitor the situation to see if any further benefits can be passed on. ​

The table below gives you details on our new prices. You’ll notice the 10p difference when you charge at an Ultra-fast bp pulse point after the 1st of February. ​

Screenshot 2023-02-06 171913.png

It's still expensive compared to charging at home. I'm still 9.5p per kWh on a 7Kw charger until August anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 07 12:56

Re: BP reduced its prices (a bit)

Good old BP. They’ve got our best interests at heart. Bless them
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 07 13:51

Re: BP reduced its prices (a bit)

If anyone is interested in comparing real world fuel costs between a petrol and an electric car of similar size, I was asked by a friend to work out equivalent fuel costs for an EV and petrol car:

I decided to base it on 35 miles as my friend’s car averages around 35mpg.

Public EV charging at a BP charge point = 69p per kW, my EV currently averages around 5 miles per kW, so 35 miles costs £4.83 + 10% added for charging losses totalling £5.32p for 35 miles of driving.

Petrol average price = £1.55p per litre, roughly 4.5 litres to a gallon = £6.97 per gallon
Average mid-sized car with consumption of 35 mpg = £6.97p for 35 miles of driving.

Conclusion:

Petrol cost for 35 miles = £6.97p
Electricity cost for 35 miles = £5.32p

Given the cost of an EV is probably 30% more than an equivalent fossil fuelled car, plus the added expense of around £1200 for a home charger install, it does not make economic sense currently to own an EV over a petrol vehicle. Diesel vehicles are a bit more economical, but fuel cost is more than that of petrol.

Also, my EV is very efficient at 5 miles per kW, some EV’s can only manage 4 or even 3. something miles per kW pushing up the cost of electricity even more.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.