World Classic

Discuss all types of sport from Football, Rugby, Golf, F1, Horse Racing, Keeping fit and Gyms...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2023 10 11:53

World Classic

Well, the rosters for the World Classic have been released. My initial look tells me y'all (GB) have a decent team so far but I will have to look more closer.

Good luck in March when it all plays out.

https://www.mlb.com/world-baseball-classic/teams
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 10 14:55

Re: World Classic

not really a great british team when they are all born in the USA barring 3 or 4 lol
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 11 01:01

Gazza wrote: 10th Feb 2023 at 2:55pm not really a great british team when they are all born in the USA barring 3 or 4 lol
I think you mean are citizens of or something like that bro.
The rules for playing on a team are strict;
A player is eligible if:

• The player previously appeared on a team’s final roster at the start of either a World Baseball Classic qualifier or tournament round; or
• The player is a citizen of the team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a valid passport the player holds as of three months prior to the start of the tournament; or
• The player is currently a permanent legal resident of the team’s country or territory; or
• The player was born in the team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent; or
• The player has at least one parent who is (or, if deceased, was), a citizen of the team’s country or territory; or
• The player has at least one parent who was born in the team’s country or territory; or
• The player presents documentary evidence that he would be granted citizenship or a passport in due course under the laws of the team’s country or territory, if he were to apply for such citizenship or passport.

I live here but I could not play for your team but I could play for the USA team.

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 11 02:31

Good luck brothers and sisters. The match is set for 0200 12/03, U.S vs. GB. I'll be watching as I think it will be tough for us, no, I don't expect a blow-out game.
This one is hard to predict.
I think you can watch it on BT Sport or MLB.com.
From the classic site "Great Britain

“Cinderella” is a folk tale that became ubiquitous during the 20th-21st century in America, but it’s actually a story that has roots that reach across the globe. In order to get to Chase Field, Great Britain had to have a glass slipper moment of its own -- multiple times over.

A stunning comeback propelled Britain past Spain at the 2022 WBC qualifiers in Regensburg, Germany. It ran the table in qualifications, earning its first ever spot in World Baseball Classic pool play -- and it almost never came to fruition following the passing of Queen Elizabeth, as the club had to receive special permission to suit up during a period of national mourning.

Liam Carroll -- a former Great Britain manager -- has served as the team’s GM; he is set to take up a post as skipper at Single-A Salem this season in the Red Sox organization. A Minors flavor is distinct on this GB roster: Harry Ford is the club’s offensive catalyst and the Mariners’ No. 1 prospect, while Matt Koperniak has climbed the Cardinals’ organizational ranks, and after hitting for the cycle over the summer, finished last season at Triple-A.

Key to roster construction is the Bahamas’ status as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. Seven players (and one coach) are Bahamian born, including Tahnaj Thomas, BJ Murray Jr., D’Shawn Knowles and Chavez Young, all of whom figure to play prominent roles throughout Pool C action.

The most notable name on the pitching side to big league fans is right-hander Vance Worley, who pitched for five clubs over eight seasons. Longtime British national team hurler Daniel Cooper, who hasn’t pitched professionally since 2015, spent three seasons in the Seattle organization and struck out a then-20-year-old Nolan Arenado while in High-A in 2011.

But if it's big league experience you crave, outfielder Trayce Thompson -- brother of NBA star Klay -- leads the pack with 297 contests in the Majors under his belt.

Looking to latch onto an upstart squad that could make some noise in Arizona and beyond if all clicks? The Brits may be the ticket."

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 13 09:30

Your women's soccer team should also do well Trout buddy in the women's world cup, very strong contenders as is our England team. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)