Disposable Vape Pollution

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2023 28 19:30

Disposable Vape Pollution

This post isn't anything to do with whether vaping is safer or not compared with smoking cigarettees.

I just watched the local news that claims that 1.3 million disposable (plastic) vape pens are thrown away every week. 10 tonnes of Lithium is discarded each year, enough to make 1200 EV car batteries.
  • There are vape mods that you refill with vape liquid and they use removable batteries. They should last for many years and the batteries can be replaced every 2-3 years by the user.
  • Then manufacturers started making vape mods with inbuilt batteries. OK, under the WEEE regs, most vape shops will take them back when they stop working, but how many people do that. They have a life expectancy of approx 2-3 years.
  • But the new trend is for disposable vape pens. They are designed to last only a few days. You can't refil them with liquid or charge the batteries up. These are the type most likely to be purchased by children due to their much lower cost (£5).
I'm not a tree hugger (maybe I am), but 1.3 million discarded every week cannot be good for the environment. I thought cigarette buts was a bad enough nuisance.

Here are a few screenshots if you didn't see the story.

1111.png
2222.png
3333.png
4444.png

EDIT: And the government show no interest in banning disposable vape pens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2023 28 22:37

Re: Disposable Vape Pollution

I absolutely agree, this is terrible and needs addressing however…….

Not getting in embroiled in the health, or current age issues around vaping I do feel this is another media gripe at the general current “trend” around vaping, and so focusing on the environmental impact of the battery as opposed to vaping itself due to current lack of data.

As a vapour myself for well over 12+ years iv seen the rise from beginning, almost. Kits were basic, cumbersome, prone to leaking and very expensive.
As with everything things have moved on considerably. I have never brought, or will buy a single use vape. I have always used a unit which refillable, and interchangeable batteries. Current one using iv had about 3 years.

1.3 million vape battery’s disposed of every week is huge. But… in comparison to the 600 million batteries (lithium, chemical or mercury) thrown into our general waste and landfill every year and for many, many years beforehand it’s a drop in the ocean.

Neither are right, but that’s kinda the point I’m getting at. We are, I’m sure all guilty of throwing away a battery, but a push for recycling of any battery isn’t something you see daily and really should be however, this doesn’t make the news.
Local councils could be leading the way on this, but I’m sure the cost far outweighs the reward.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 01 07:23

I often see that blue flashing light at the side of the road as I drive past - a disposable vape dumped!
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2023 01 10:34

I have 3 rechargeable, refillable vapes, had them for 2-3 years? batteries don`t last as long as when new but last a day.
When the batteries go I will recycle them. Disposable vapes are ridiculous, the school is littered with them now [Shock.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 01 16:25

Nail wrote: 1st Mar 2023 at 7:23am I often see that blue flashing light at the side of the road as I drive past - a disposable vape dumped!
I have spotted a few of those. I was wondering what they were? Now I know!
All I tend to find round here now are those Nitrous Gas canisters. Not the finger sized ones. These are like small Fire Extinguishers! And loads of discarded balloons! [Shock.png]
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.