Citroen Ami flips at 28mph

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2023 13 23:54

Citroen Ami flips at 28mph

This clip shows the little electric Citroen Ami over turn (flip) at it's maximum speed of 28mph. At least the little Citroen Ami has 4 wheels, the trotters Reliant only had three. [Big grin.png]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LAjn-mEYk&t=17s

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Red
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 14 09:22

Re: Citroen Ami flips at 28mph

It lifted a few wheels when corning on Fifth Gear recharged. Ingenious but way too compromised to be a success. That top speed speed is crazy! Why not 30 or 35mph?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 14 09:41

Red wrote: 14th Mar 2023 at 9:22am It lifted a few wheels when corning on Fifth Gear recharged. Ingenious but way too compromised to be a success. That top speed speed is crazy! Why not 30 or 35mph?
It matches common European Km/H sppeds
28 MPH is 45 Km/h in European.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 14 10:32

The Ami is a city car not designed for speed so 28 mph is a realistic maximum. I drive in London a lot and my average speed is 9 mph according to my dashboard, there are many 20 mph speed limits in London.

Do you think that was an engineered failure for YouTube?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 14 11:21

Down hill with an adverse camber, I would think so! On a flat road it may have been ok?
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2023 14 14:12

Vera wrote: 14th Mar 2023 at 9:41am It matches common European Km/H sppeds
28 MPH is 45 Km/h in European.
Yes, in France you can drive one from the age of 14 without a full licence. It is classed as a licence-free vehicle in France. It isn't classed as a car, but is a light quadricycle.

People who have had their licence removed or suspended can drive one. If they have not been banned from driving a motor vehicle by a judge, they can drive a light quadricycle under the same conditions.
https://www.aixam.com/en/all-you-need-t ... tion/legal

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 15 11:15

Keyolder wrote: 14th Mar 2023 at 10:32am The Ami is a city car not designed for speed so 28 mph is a realistic maximum. I drive in London a lot and my average speed is 9 mph according to my dashboard, there are many 20 mph speed limits in London.

Do you think that was an engineered failure for YouTube?
Looks very setup to me. Why would you be filming it if you weren't expecting it to happen.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 15 12:53

I agree, I think it was staged too.
Goofy car, goofy video.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2023 15 13:14

Yes, probably staged. I've seen another video where it shows a Citroen Ami going downhill at 62mph. Although the motor is governed at 28mph, if you stick it in neutral and find a long enough, steep enough hill, you can get it to do much faster speeds.

We British have only ourselves to blame. Citroen originally were not going to sell the Ami in the UK but after much comment, they decided to put a poll on their website where it seems they had an overwhelming response.

We do seem to like quirky (Goofy) cars... Bond buggy's, Robins, Bubble cars, Morgan's, AC 70 Carriage, Frog Eyed Sprite, Mini to name a few.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 16 08:11

When you consider how many of our journeys are one person popping into town, up to the supermarket or on equally short runs we only need a small economical vehicle. When you see the thousands of 4x4, family saloons, estate cars with just the driver on-board, its a relatively expensive way to travel just so that evry now and then we can have a passenger or two.
ps I ride a motorbike so cars only used in a) Stormy weather/Ice and b) if 2 or 3 of us need to get somewhere and perhaps a few times a year to pick stuff up. I reckon two car families should be incentivised to have a Smart car or Ami as their second car.