Solar panels at school

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 15 10:20

Solar panels at school

We have been sent details of a possible scheme to have panels on our school, over 100 of them. Any advise on pro's and con's and anything we should bear in mind?
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 15 11:13

Re: Solar panels at school

Wow, 100 panels will save you guys an absolute fortune at todays prices of electricity. We have issues with pigeons nesting underneath ours and damaging the cables/pooping on the panels. Would be worth caging them off at the edges if they are laying flat on a pitched roof?
Jack-the-Bug
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 15 17:55

We've had 124 panels fitted since 2014 and they are producing a good amount of electricity and we get a good kick back in cash for what we generate and don't use in the form of feed-in tariff. Normally we get about £8,000 back annually as well as the reduced bills from the utility company.
We had another 30 panels added this summer which we get the electric from but no kick back on them.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2023 15 18:42

We got priced up for them.
We would have saved a fortune, but the roof wasn’t strong enough to support them.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2023 16 08:04

We have them and they are a welcome addition. During the day (a sunny) day they supply all our daily needs, saving us substantial costs. They were installed without too much disruption. They are a great enhancement to any schools 'green' credentials. We love them.
Just one advice note - sometimes you are told how muich you are saving. Usually a £ amount. However be aware that this is whats produced. In reality the electricity produced at weekends and during holidays (especially Summer and max output) cannot be used and feedback tafifs can be pretty awful.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2023 16 09:23

In the last few years I’ve seen quite a few local schools have gained solar panels, given the fluctuation in the price of electricity it makes a lot of sense.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
mikefido
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2023 21 13:25

We've had a basic survey done to add them ... trouble is they're thinking of putting them on a roof that leaks that we've been quoted quarter of a million to replace!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 07 09:55

I've had full solar edge systems with tesla batteries quoted for at a couple of our schools back in 2020. We had them as part of a PSDS bid which failed and we simply don't have the capital to pay for them outright. I will revisit this once we've finished with the LED program.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 09 07:35

mikefido wrote: 21st Apr 2023 at 1:25pm We've had a basic survey done to add them ... trouble is they're thinking of putting them on a roof that leaks that we've been quoted quarter of a million to replace!
Position the panels over the leaks?
[Success.png]