Pay rise in april

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

hawkwind
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 15:10

Re: Pay rise in april

The unions have finally announced this year's pay claim of 10% or £3000 whichever is greater.

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/2024/02/ ... say-unions
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 15:26

Whilst I agree, for the job we do we're not paid enough in comparison to some other roles in schools, where is this money coming from?

Don't get me wrong, we're renting a 3 bed bungalow which if I had to pay for it myself would leave me with about 250-300 a month, and a weekly shopping bill of at least 60-70, things are tight by the time you pay for everything.

There is going to come a point though where there just is no money to give.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 16:32

They can ask but will we get it after two good pay rises on the trot. Not so long ago, I would only know I had gotten a pay rise because my rent went up the same month so they would send a letter. The rent always went up by a few quid more than the pay rise in the same month. I would never see the benefit from it or see a difference in pay just more rent. Be good but 3k do I think we will get it nope
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 17:18

Taz wrote: 29th Feb 2024 at 3:26pm Whilst I agree, for the job we do we're not paid enough in comparison to some other roles in schools, where is this money coming from?

Don't get me wrong, we're renting a 3 bed bungalow which if I had to pay for it myself would leave me with about 250-300 a month, and a weekly shopping bill of at least 60-70, things are tight by the time you pay for everything.

There is going to come a point though where there just is no money to give.
As a change in government is probably imminent any chance of this being negotiated before the end of the year is slim to none.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
adyjay
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 16:55

10% or 3k!

Did I just see a pig fly past the window?

They will raise the lower band even higher, like they usually do, which is then starting to creep up towards the middle band earners, then stuff the middle band earners, who effectively go backwards, then give a nice rise to the high earners.

When they wanted the extra days leave for support staff last year, Hampshire support staff never got it, as we are on different term and conditions, so I don't hold out much hope of getting anything from Hampshire CC, apart from a real pay cut as usual, especially now as Hampshire County Council have voted to raise the council tax up as much as they possibly can, to the maximum limit they can, so that's not gonna help at all.

We are doomed!!!
I often wonder why its easier to complain than praise?
Understanding and co-operation is sadly lacking in schools towards support staff.
When we are wanted, they are all nice, when we ask for something they moan!
Men live their lives in quiet desperation when it comes to the opposite gender!
Don't trust anyone, they will only hurt you!
It's a sad situation really :(
Raggedy Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 07 19:42

Additional days off, two hour reduction in the working week, £3k or 10% pay rise. Rather a big ask isn't it ? But then I guess you always go in high with your wish list in the knowledge it will get watered down to reality. Lovely idea though.